The primary responsibility of the Public Integrity Unit is to ensure the principles of the Lexington Police Department are being upheld. The unit serves as a mechanism for internal accountability by receiving, processing and investigating complaints or commendations concerning police conduct.
Interacting with Police
Contact with a police officer can occur in a variety of ways, including:
• During community functions or events
• Emergency situations
• Questioning for an investigation
• Traffic stops
This pamphlet, "What to do When You Are Stopped by Police," provides some general guidelines on what you should do when you encounter a law enforcement official.
To file a complaint or commendation, call (859) 258-3625 during regular business hours. Please provide:
- Your name, address and phone number
- Incident date and time
- Location of incident
- Incident report or citation number (if any)
- Name of officer, badge number or vehicle number
- Brief narrative of complaint or compliment
Information regarding complaints submitted to PIU can be found on police Personnel Data page.
Read our policies: