Citizens' Advocate Office
Created in the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Charter to provide citizens an ombudsman or independent agent with the government, the Citizens' Advocate:
- Investigates citizens' complaints.
- Discloses any irregularities or abuses found in the LFUCG or with its officers, agents or employees.
- Recommends policy changes to improve citizen access to LFUCG departments, divisions, agencies and offices.
- Suggests ways to strengthen the government system.
- Provides callers with information and referrals.
The Citizens' Advocate Office is not a substitute or replacement for a department's normal complaint resolution mechanism. The complainant must make a reasonable effort to solve the problem with the agency before contacting this office. In order to investigate, the involved agency must be part of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government.
Please Note: The Citizens' Advocate is not authorized to investigate complaints against:
- Elected officials outside the Urban County Government
- Constitutional offices, courts, fiscal court or county clerk
- State or federal government offices
- Private parties
- Outside agencies or non-governmental organizations
- Police officers