Under the command of Assistant Chief Shawn Coleman, the Bureau of Special Operations is specifically tasked with handling unique operational situations, traffic-related events and investigations, and provides various community programs.
The bureau consists of three sections:
- Operational Support
- Community Services
- Air Support Unit | Provides support to all units within the Lexington Police Department. Assists in search for suspects, vehicles, threats to responding officers.
- Canine Unit | Assists with detection, tracking, building searches and criminal apprehension.
- C.L.E.A.R. Unit | The Community Law Enforcement Action Response (CLEAR) Program is focused on proactive law enforcement and community-involved policing.
- Downtown Entertainment District Unit | Utilizing bicycles, Segways and a hybrid ATV, officers patrol the streets of downtown Lexington, assisting with large-scale events such as parades and downtown festivals.
- Emergency Response Unit | This specially trained and equipped unit provides support to the department in hostage/barricaded persons, narcotic search warrants, dignitary protection, civil disturbances, and many other hazardous situations.
- Hazardous Devices Unit | Responsible for the proper storage and disposal of recovered explosives, disposal of recovered fireworks, mitigation of improvised explosive devices, and assistance with collection of evidence from hazardous devices.
- Mounted Patrol Unit | Provides high visibility patrols to the Downtown Entertainment District and other selected areas of Lexington. Duties also include providing demos, barn tours, participating in parades and special events, and assisting with crowd control. http://friendslexingtonmountedpolice.org/
- Honor Guard | Honors fallen officers, active and retired. Also involved in the Presentation of Colors during parades, special events and department ceremonies.
- Traffic enforcement
- Collision Reconstruction Unit
- Special event planning
- Hit & Run Unit
- School Crossing Guard Program
- Grant Management
Note: For information about traffic citations, please contact Fayette County District Court.