You can submit a report to the Police Department for the following incidents:
- Harassing communications
- Fraudulent use of a credit/debit card
- Theft by unlawful taking
- Criminal mischief
- Property lost or mislaid
- Larceny from auto (less than $500)
You will be required to create an online account to file your first report. Keep your login and password for future use. Please note: It is a crime to make a false police report.
Submit an online report
The Online Citizen Police Report system allows you to submit a report to the police immediately and print a draft copy of the police report for free. NOTICE: If your incident involves a firearm of any kind, call (859) 258-3600 and an officer will be sent to investigate.
Please confirm the following to find out if the Online Citizen Police Report is right for you:
- This is not an emergency
- This incident occurred in Lexington/Fayette County, Kentucky
- You do not have any suspect information
- You are at least 18 years old
- You have a valid email address
- The crime did not involve a firearm
- The reported crime is one of the following:
a. Harassing Communications
b. Fraudulent Use of a Debit/Credit Card (under $500 in a 6 month period)
c. Theft by Unlawful Taking (with stolen property valued at less than $500)
d. Criminal Mischief (under $1,000 in damage)
e. Lost Property (valued at less than $500)
f. Larceny from Auto (stolen property valued at less than $500)
If you meet the above criteria, you are ready to file your report online. Please make sure to turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report. You will be required to create an online account to file your report, so keep your login information and password for future use.
If you do not meet the above criteria, call (859) 258-3600.
If a crime took place outside of Lexington/Fayette County, Kentucky, please call the police department for the city where the crime occurred.
Upon completion of this report process you will:
- See the words: "Your online police report has been submitted" showing that your police report is complete.
- Be given a police report case number.
- Be able to print a draft copy of the police report to keep for your records.
- All cases filed using the Citizens Online Police Reporting System will be reviewed.
- Upon review, if further investigation of your case is needed, you may be contacted.
- Filing a false police report is a crime.
Obtain a police report
Reports on open cases may be received five days after the report is filed. Only individuals involved in an incident may obtain a report. A report that has multiple victims will not be available online.
To access reports online, the cost is $10 and you will need the following:
- Report case number (local code number)
- Date of the offense
- Offense description
- Involved party's name
You can pick your report up in the front lobby of Police Headquarters. Reports on open cases may be received 5 days after a report is taken. You will need the following:
- Case number
- Name and address of the complainant
- Date of offense
- Information about the type of offense
- Valid photo ID
There is a fee of $0.10 per page for the report.
Provide the "walk-in" information above and include the payment of 10-cents per page of the report and a self-addressed stamped envelope. Mail the request to:
Lexington Police Department
150 E. Main St.
Lexington, KY 40507
Background checks (criminal history)
The Lexington Police Department does not provide background record checks. Contact the Administrative Office of the Courts in Frankfort, Ky. either by mail, online or in person to request a record check.
or call the AOC at (502) 573-1682.