Submit or obtain a police report

Are you the victim of a crime? Depending on the type of incident that occurred, you may be able to submit information to the police department using an online form. 

How to submit an online report

The online civilian incident system allows you to submit a report to the police immediately and print a draft copy of the police report for free. You will be required to create an online account to file your first report. Keep your login and password for future use. Please note: It is a crime to make a false police report. 

NOTICE:  If your incident involves a firearm of any kind, call (859) 258-3600 and an officer will be sent to investigate.

Please confirm the following​​ to find out if the Online Citizen Police Report is right for you:

  • This is not an emergency 
  • This incident occurred in Lexington/Fayette County, Kentucky 
  • You do not have any suspect information
  • You are at least 18 years old
  • You have a valid email address
  • The crime did not involve a firearm
  • The reported crime is one of the following:

          a. Harassing Communications
          b. Fraudulent Use of a Debit/Credit Card (under $500 in a 6 month period)
          c. Theft by Unlawful Taking (with stolen property valued at less than $500)
          d. Criminal Mischief (under $1,000 in property damage)
          e. Lost Property (valued at less than $500)
          f. Larceny from Auto (car break-in with stolen property valued at less than $500)

If you meet the above criteria, you are ready to file your report online. Please make sure to turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report. If you do not meet the above criteria, call (859) 258-3600 to speak with an officer.


  • You have the right to be treated with fairness, respect, dignity, and to be protected from intimidation or harm throughout the criminal and juvenile justice process
  • You have the right, upon request, to be informed about victims’ rights, criminal proceedings, and if the accused is arrested, released, or escapes
    • To be notified, register with VINE at or call 1-800-511-1670
    • If offender is in custody, click “Find an Offender”
    • To be notified of court dates, click “Find an Offender Court Case”
  • You have the right to have your safety, dignity, and privacy to be considered
  • You have the right to be heard at bond, bail release, pleas, or sentencing
  • You have the right to proceedings free from unreasonable delay
  • You have the right to be present at criminal proceedings
  • You have the right to consult with prosecution
  • You have standing to assert your rights, have an attorney assert your rights, or request the Attorney for the Commonwealth assert your rights
  • You have the right to full restitution paid by the convicted

I acknowledge my rights - Submit an online report to Lexington Police​


Upon completion of this report process you will:

  • See the words: "Your online police report has been submitted" showing that your police report is complete. 
  • Be given a police report case number. 
  • Be able to print a draft copy of the police report to keep for your records.

Please Note: 

  • All cases filed using the online reporting system will be reviewed. 
  • Upon review, if further investigation of your case is needed, you may be contacted. 
  • ​Filing a false police report is a crime.​

How to obtain a police report

Reports on open cases may be received five days after the report is filed. Please contact the Central Records Unit for additional information.


Background checks (criminal history)

The Lexington Police Department does not provide background record checks. Contact the Administrative Office of the Courts in Frankfort, Ky. either by mail, online or in person to request a record check.