New development, redevelopment, construction and demolition projects

Lexington’s requirements for erosion and sediment control plans, land disturbance permits, stormwater management facilities and public/private infrastructure

The information below is intended for those involved in the following kinds of projects:

  • Private residential, commercial or institutional development, redevelopment or construction
  • Public infrastructure projects, such as roads, bridges, and drainage or sewer infrastructure
  • Demolition projects, including those preceding development/redevelopment or construction

Below are links to manuals and other documents that contain the technical, procedural, permitting, and other information necessary for compliance with Lexington’s ordinances regarding public safety, engineering, infrastructure development and stormwater management. The information below is organized by project phase:

  • Planning and project design
  • Project permitting       
  • Project construction

Other requirements – such as those related to zoning, plat approvals, building permits, and maintenance of post-construction stormwater facilities (e.g., curb drain inserts, detention ponds, etc.) – can be found by clicking the relevant links or searching our website.

Do I need an LDP?

This table and video explains if your project requires a Land Disturbance Permit.

Please note that if you will be clearing/grading/excavating/filling an area of 5,000 square feet or more, you will need to develop an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan and apply for a Land Disturbance Permit from Engineering prior to beginning those activities.*

After obtaining the permit and starting work, your site will be inspected by staff from Water Quality at least monthly, and twice a month if the site is targeted due to its size or proximity to a waterbody. After the completion of construction, the site owner is required to operate and maintain the post-construction stormwater facilities

*Agricultural practices such as plowing, cultivation, home gardens, nursery operations and tree cutting not related to eventual building construction are generally exempt from the Land Disturbance Permit requirements.

What forms do I need?

Note that the various project phases include the following types of elements and activities:

Planning and Project Design

  • Deed, plat and zoning issues
  • Roadways, access and utility infrastructure
  • Grading, infrastructure and building plans

Project Permitting      

  • Erosion and Sediment Control / Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
  • Engineering Land Disturbance Permit
  • Other environmental permits (e.g., Corps of Engineers, Division of Water Quality)
  • Building permits

Project Construction

  • Engineering and infrastructure compliance
  • Sanitary sewers and stormwater facilities requirements
  • Construction site erosion and sediment control compliance

Accela – Citizens portal page

Access government services online, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Simply register and create a user account to apply for and pay for various permits (fences, renovations, demolitions), schedule inspections, track the status of your application and more.   

Access the City of Lexington citizen portal.

Infrastructure development process