Thinking of applying to the Lexington Police Department? Serving the community can be challenging at times, but also very rewarding. Current officers share their advice for pursuing a career in law enforcement.
For additional information, contact a Lexington Police Recruiter:
Call: (859) 425-2325
Minimum requirements for police recruits
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Be 21-36 years old at filing deadline
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have a valid driver's license
- Not prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm
- Not been convicted of a serious misdemeanor within 12 months prior to the application deadline date or during the hiring process
- Never been convicted of a felony
- Not used any illegal drugs within 12 months or during the hiring process
- Not used any prescription medication other than prescribed by a health care provider within 12 months during the hiring process
- Not been fired or forced to resign within 12 months preceding application
- Not had certification as a peace officer permanently revoked in another state
- Not received a dishonorable discharge, a bad conduct discharge or discharged with other than honorable conditions from any branch of the United States military
Officers are not to have any visible tattoos while on-duty in a regulation uniform. No visible tattoos above a collar or exposed by the short sleeve uniform shirt. The department does not grant any waivers and does not allow any “skin sleeves or covers” to hide them. This includes tattoos that can be covered by watches and wedding bands.
Tattoos, Brands and Body Modifications
- Applicants who have tattoos, brands or body modifications on any portion of their body that is visible while wearing a short sleeve uniform shirt who expresses a willingness to remove the tattoo regardless of the location or quantity, will be allowed to continue in the process until the point of Chief’s selection.
- During the written and physical fitness testing all applicants will be visually inspected wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt to identify any tattoos, brands and body modifications.
- Prior to being permitted to participate in the Chief’s selection, all applicants must demonstrate compliance with the requirements of General Order 1973-05Y as it pertains to any tattoos, brands and body modifications.