Thinking of applying to the Lexington Police Department? Serving the community can be challenging at times, but also very rewarding. Current officers share their advice for pursuing a career in law enforcement.
For additional information, contact a Lexington Police Recruiter:
Call: (859) 425-2325
Minimum requirements for police recruits
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Be 21-36 years old at filing deadline
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have a valid driver's license
- Not prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm
- Not been convicted of a serious misdemeanor within 12 months prior to the application deadline date or during the hiring process
- Never been convicted of a felony
- Not used any illegal drugs within 12 months or during the hiring process
- Not used any prescription medication other than prescribed by a health care provider within 12 months during the hiring process
- Not been fired or forced to resign within 12 months preceding application
- Not had certification as a peace officer permanently revoked in another state
- Not received a dishonorable discharge, a bad conduct discharge or discharged with other than honorable conditions from any branch of the United States military
*UPDATED* Tattoo information
Effective March 2019, officers are permitted to have approved visible tattoos and body alterations while on-duty in a regulation uniform. The tattoo or body alteration must not be (or perceived to be) vulgar, indecent, sexist, racist, anti-social, gang-related, extremist group-related, or something that could discredit the department.
- Sleeve tattoos and tattoos that appear on the hands, neck, or above the neck are prohibited. A single ring tattoo around the base of one finger may be permitted if approved by the Chief of Police or Chief's designee.
- All applicants will be visually inspected wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt to identify any tattoos, brands and body modifications.
- Prior to being permitted to participate in the Chief’s selection, all applicants must demonstrate compliance with the requirements of General Order 1973-05BB as it pertains to any tattoos, brands and body modifications.