Office of Diversity & Inclusion
The Office of Diversity & Inclusion works to promote an inclusive workplace culture throughout the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government. Additionally, this office seeks to create an environment in which each employee feels respected, valued and appreciated for their own identity.
Duties of this office include:
- Partnering with the private sector, not-for-profit organizations, community leaders and academic institutions;
- Opening the government’s recruiting channels to ensure a more diverse pool of candidates for available positions, leadership roles, and board or commission appointments;
- Working with and advising City administrators on handling diversity-related matters when needed;
- Serving as a representative of the government at diversity-related events; and
- Helping train and educate all employees to create a culture of inclusion and not exclusion.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion statement
The Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government continues to strengthen its work environment, its government and the ability to serve its residents by seeking employees and volunteers that represent the Lexington-Fayette County Community. We will commit to develop and sustain a work environment that supports diversity, equity and inclusion and that nurtures all employees and volunteers through its hiring, the development of ordinances, policies and procedures. All divisions of LFUCG are committed to equity within our workforce and the entire community. Equity is achieved when race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or economic status are no longer a predictor of government services, health, well-being and quality of life.
In support of our efforts, LFUCG will:
• Actively seek to recruit employees and volunteers from diverse backgrounds by a variety of means;
• Actively seek to strengthen and maintain an inclusive and equitable work environment by offering workshops on diversity and inclusion (implicit bias, cultural competency);
• Actively seek to recruit and increase outreach of diverse businesses in the procurement process;
• Actively strive to serve as a local and national model for equity for all residents within our community.
LFUCG's goal is to create a more inclusive and equitable work environment, increase government accessibility, and improve our ability to serve all residents.
Boards and commission diversity statement
The City of Lexington seeks diversity among the members of its volunteer boards and commissions through inclusive efforts that are reflective of our community. Diverse board membership encourages the exchange of different perspectives and supports social equity in communities. Therefore, it is a priority of the city of Lexington to have representation based on ethnicity, varying age, gender, disability, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, political affiliation, socioeconomic and family status, and geographic region on our boards and commissions.