The Extended School Program (ESP) and the Recreation Enrichment and Learning Program (REAL) offer affordable, high-quality childcare. ESP and the REAL program are partnerships between the Lexington Parks & Recreation and the Fayette County Public School system.
Extended School Program (ESP)
The Extended School Program is currently offered at the following elementary schools:
- Athens-Chilesburg Elementary – 930 Jouett Creek Dr. (40509) WAITLIST
- Garrett Morgan Elementary – 1150 Passage Mound Way (40509) WAITLIST
- Julius Marks Elementary – 3277 Pepperhill Rd. (40502) WAITLIST
- Northern Elementary – 340 Rookwood Dr. (40505)
- Stonewall Elementary – 33215 Cornwall Dr. (40503) WAITLIST
- Academy for Leadership at Millcreek Elementary – 1212 Reva Ridge Way (40517) WAITLIST
- Yates Elementary – 695 E New Circle Road (40505)
ESP is regulated by the Kentucky Administrative Regulations and adheres to strict staff to student ratios. All site personnel receives in-service training and all staff must receive required health tests and pass criminal background checks. The activities offered include homework assistance along with recreation and leisure activities. Each year students must reapply to be accepted into the programs.
ESP school year registration
ESP 2021 – 2022 school year registration
Applications must be emailed to ESPregistration@lexingtonky.gov.
- All completed applications should be accompanied by a current immunization for each child
- Each year students must reapply to be accepted into the programs.
- ESP will process each application within 72 hours of receipt.
Recreation Enrichment and Learning Program (REAL)
The Recreation Enrichment and Learning Program is an after-school program for middle-school students. The program is currently offered at the following middle schools:
- Edith J. Hayes Middle School, 260 Richardson Place (40509)
- Jessie Clark Middle School, 3341 Clays Mill Rd. (40503)
The REAL program is affordable, maintains a low staff-to-student ratio, and offers a range of both recreational and educational activities for students. All REAL program staff must receive training, required health tests and a criminal background check.
- Morning session: 7 – 9 a.m. (Start of school)
- Evening session: 4 – 6 p.m.
REAL school year registration
REAL 2021 – 2022 school year registration
REAL applications must be emailed to ESPregistration@lexingtonky.gov.
- All completed applications should be accompanied by a current immunization for each child.
- Each year students must reapply to be accepted into the programs.
- REAL will process each application within 72 hours of receipt.
2021 ESP Summer Fun Camp
Summer camp is currently at full capacity and can no longer enroll campers.
Camp locations and hours
Drop off | 7:30 – 8 a.m.
Pick up | 5 – 5:30 p.m.
Carver Artworks ESP Summer Fun Camp
522 Patterson St.
Lexington, KY 40508
(May 24 – July 30)
Closed on Monday, May 31 in observance of Memorial Day.
Four weeks or less | $45 per child
Five weeks or more | $60 per child
$140 per week per child
Childcare assistance accepted
Scholarship | $70 per week per child
ESP cost and payment information
ESP registration fees
- $25 per student per school year
- The maximum registration fee per family is $50.
ESP weekly fees (per student)
- Full-time (3 – 5 days/week) | $60 per student
- Part-time (1 – 2 days/week) | $35 per student
ESP additional fees (per student)
- Full day* | One day | $15 per student
- *Full day is a normal day of attendance
- Full day** | One day | $27 per student
- **Full day is not a normal day of attendance
ESP scholarship fees
A limited number of scholarships are available per site. Fill out and return the income eligibility form on the Parks policies page to apply for a scholarship.
- Full-time 3 – 5 days/week $35 per student
- Part-time 1 – 2 days/week $15 per student
- All weekly fees are charged Monday.
- All weekly tuition payments must be paid at MyProCare.com
- Credit card payments can be made at MyProCare.com. See below for more details for MyProCare.
- A late fee of $15 is assessed to all accounts where payment is not received by 6 p.m. on Wednesday.
- Keep your weekly fees current. Your child will lose their spot in the program due to a delinquent account.
- There is no daily rate or drop-in rate.
- The weekly fee will not be pro-rated due to the non-attendance of a full day.
REAL new cost scale
REAL new cost scale:
- REAL no longer will have drop-off rates.
- Rates are based on enrollment and not attendance.
- Payment is due whether or not your child attends for the week.
REAL weekly fees (per student)
- AM session | $30 per week | 0 – 5 days attendance
- PM session | $30 per week | 0 – 5 days attendance
- AM & PM session | $60 per week | 0 – 5 days attendance
- Registration fee: $25 per child / $50 max for a family
New REAL application process
- Applications are now a fillable PDF.
- Fill out all the required boxes and email completed application(s) to ESPregistration@lexingtonky.gov.
- REAL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING WALK-IN OR MAILED APPLICATIONS.
- REAL will email a confirmation and information on how to make the registration fee payment online at MyProcare.com.
- Registration fee must be paid within 48 hours of emailed registration confirmation to retain your before/after school camp spot.
- Enrollment is first-come, first-served in allotted age/grade level openings.
- If there are questions, email the appropriate REAL staff member for your school.
Erika Schlarb, ESP director – EJ Hayes REAL
New REAL payment method
- Payments are no longer accepted onsite.
- All tuition payments must be paid online at MyProcare.com.
- Payments are due each Monday.
ESP full days (days school is closed for records or conference days)
- There will be an additional cost for full-day sessions (records, conference and snow days) for all schools.
- Fees include breakfast and snacks. This charge will cover costs associated with field trip transportation and admission.
- Spring and winter break camps will be offered during the break at limited locations.
- Enrollment in the full days is optional.
- Parents will receive information on each full-day program and camps (at minimum) two weeks in advance of the full day.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to find out and sign your child up for the full days.
Holidays and other closings
ESP and REAL will be closed on all holidays observed by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government and will not prorate for federal holidays. The program is closed on the following days:
- New Year's Eve and New Year's Day (as observed by the LFUCG calendar)
- Martin Luther King Jr. holiday
- President's Day
- Labor Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Thanksgiving holidays (including the day before and after Thanksgiving)
- Dec. 24 (as reflected by the LFUCG calendar)
- Christmas Day (as observed by the LFUCG calendar)
In the event of early dismissal, ESP will operate at each site for 3-hours at elementary schools and two hours at REAL programs.
Cancellation on snow days will be relayed through email, on Parks Facebook and Twitter and on local news channels.
Any child picked up after 6 p.m. will have a late charge added to the account.
- $5 per every 5 minutes after 6 p.m.
- If a child is not picked up by and there is no communication from the parent/guardian by 6:30 p.m., the Lexington Police Department will be notified.
- Continuous late pick-up will result in removal from the program.
Withdrawing from ESP:
- A written notice must be submitted to the ESP site two weeks prior to a child’s last day of attendance.
- Re-entry into the program at a later time will be available only if space permits.
- Accounts will be charged accordingly if dropping the program without adequate notice. Re-enrollment will not be excepted until the entire balance is paid.
MyProcare is an online portal where you can access account information and easily pay tuition. MyProcare is safe, secure, and created with your convenience in mind. It uses the email that you submitted on your application. If you are unsure of the email you have given, check with your site director or call the ESP main office.