Residents and businesses with city waste collection service are provided a green roll cart for landfill-bound waste. If you do not have a green cart, request one by calling LexCall at 311 or (859) 425-2255 or online. Material placed in the green cart must be bagged. Do not overload your cart. If it will not roll, the 200-pound weight limit has been exceeded. Overloaded carts will not be picked up.
Residential yard waste collections have been suspended. Fayette County residents can take yard waste to Haley Pike Waste Management Facility at 4216 Hedger Lane. The limit on the number of free loads a resident can bring each month is being waived while curbside collection of yard waste is suspended. An ID that shows your Fayette County address is required. Material can be delivered in yard waste bags. Hours for Haley Pike are 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. About the Haley Pike facility.
ALSO: The City has suspended electronic waste recycling because of the COVID-19 situation.
Most bulky items, such as chairs, desks, mattresses and box springs, are collected from the curb on your regular collection day. Mattresses and box springs should be laid flat when placed on the curb.
Sofas, appliances, and tires need to be scheduled. Tires must be off the rim; a maximum of four tires will be collected in a week. To schedule a special item collection, call LexCall at 311 or (859) 425-2255. You can also submit a service request online or using the LexCall mobile app.
Please consider donating items in good condition to a local charity, such as Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Salvation Army, Kentucky Refugee Ministries or Goodwill.
Set out times:
As is the case with all carts, your green trash cart and bulky items should be placed on the curb no earlier than 4 p.m. the day before your collection and no later than 5 a.m. on the day of your collection. Carts must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m. on your collection day.
Residents can request additional green carts. There is a one-time $60 container fee plus $3.60 sales tax and an additional $4.50 monthly landfill fee for additional green trash carts on the LexServe bill. Call LexCall to receive more information or to request an extra cart.
Businesses are allotted two carts. Additional carts can be requested. If approved, there will be a one-time charge of $60 and $3.60 sales tax for each additional cart. There will also be a $4.50 monthly landfill fee for each additional cart. That fee will appear on your LEXserve bill.
Please leave at least three feet between each cart and other objects.
Items requiring special preparation:
- Ashes: Ensure all embers are out. Place ashes in a sealed metal container, such as an empty coffee can, and set at the curb next to the green trash cart.
- Glass: Break up window and door glass, and place it in a sealed container to protect collection crews. Put the container in the green trash cart. Window and door glass is NOT recyclable. Never place containers of broken glass in the blue recycling cart; it poses a safety hazard to employees at the Recycling Center.
- Medical waste: Place needles and other sharp objects in a secure container, such as a milk jug or coffee can with a lid. Empty urine bags before bagging them. Place all properly prepared medical waste in the green trash cart. Never put medical waste in the blue cart.
- Latex paint that is still usable can be donated to Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Visit LexHabitat.org/ReStore for details.
- Lead paint can only be disposed of at a Household Hazardous Waste Collection event.
- Other paint that isn’t lead-based can be landfilled once it is solidified. Add kitty litter, dirt, sand or paint-hardening crystals.
- Set the container on the curb next to your green cart, with the lid on but not sealed.
- Pet waste: Pick up after your pet on walks and in your yard. Pet waste washes into storm drains and pollutes local waterways. Double bag pet waste and place it in your green cart.
- If you have a medical issue that prevents you from rolling the cart to the curb and have no one to assist you, you may be eligible for a medical exemption. Call LexCall at 311 or (859) 425-2255 for more information or request a medical exemption form through email. You can also download the form.
- Residents and nonprofits that need to dispose of large amounts of landfill-bound waste may want to consider participating in the Loan-a-box program.
Green trash cart: Acceptable items
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Solidified grease
- Packing materials
- Pet waste, double bagged in plastic
- Needles and syringes, secured in a coffee can or milk jug
Green trash cart: Unacceptable items
- Hot ashes and charcoal
- Bricks, dirt, building material, metal car parts or other excessively heavy material
- Paint (Must be solidified with dirt, kitty litter or sand and placed beside the green cart for collection.)
- Solvents, flammable liquids, pesticides and other hazardous wastes
- Motor oil
- Medical waste (Call 425-2255 for safe disposal procedures)
- Yard waste