Residents and businesses with city waste collection service can recycle using their blue roll cart. If you do not have a blue recycling roll cart, request one by calling LexCall at 311 or online.
Residents who do not receive city waste collection service can recycle using one of the drop-off recycling containers located throughout Lexington. Material disposed of using either a blue roll cart or drop-off container should be loose, not bagged.
As is the case with all carts, your blue recycling cart should be placed on the curb no earlier than 4 p.m. the day before your collection and no later than 5 a.m. on the day of your collection. Carts must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m. on your collection day. Find your collection day.
Residents can request additional blue carts. There is a one-time $60 container fee and $3.60 sales tax for each additional blue cart. Call LexCall for more information or to request an extra cart.
Businesses are allotted two carts. Additional carts can be requested. If approved, there will be a one-time charge of $60 for each additional cart plus $3.60 sales tax.
Excess cardboard may be placed at the curb near your carts on your regular collection day. Boxes must be empty, flattened and tied or bundled.
- Paper products: newspaper and inserts, magazines, phone books, office and school papers, catalogs, brown paper bags, etc.
- Aluminum cans
- Cardboard and boxboard with packing material removed (Do NOT recycle boxboard that is made to go in the refrigerator or freezer such as soda boxes or frozen meals.)
- Aerosol cans (empty)
- Steel food cans (Please rinse. Labels can stay on.)
- #1 & #2 plastic bottles and jugs
- Glass bottles and jars: colored and clear (Some blue carts may indicate that glass needs to be recycled separately. This is no longer true. Place glass in your blue cart with other recyclables.)
Click on the blue button below to download a printable flyer. / Oprima el botón azul abajo para descargar un folleto imprimible. / Cliquez sur le bouton bleu ci-dessous pour télécharger la brochure dépliante imprimable. / أنقرعلى الزر الأزرق أدناه لتحميل النشرة القابلة للطباعة / Bonyesha kifute cha bluu kilicho hapa chini ili upakue karatasi ya maelezo inayoweza kuchapishwa. / 点击蓝色按钮可下载打印文件.
Some items can damage the recycling center equipment. Avoid putting the following items in the blue carts and drop-off recycling containers. This will help keep the facility running safely and efficiently. Please throw these items away in your green roll cart or dispose of them using the alternative method indicated. These items include:
- Plastic bags, wrap and film (Several stores accept plastic bags for recycling.)
- Bungee cords
- Christmas lights (Christmas lights can be recycled at the Electronic Recycling Center.)
- Cloth (Several charities will accept clothing and other cloth items for reuse.)
- Chains (There is a metal recycling dumpster located at the Recycling Center.)
The following items are common contaminants to Lexington’s recycling stream. Please throw them away using your green roll cart. These items include:
- Pyrex or plate glass
- Packaging intended for the refrigerator or freezer: soft drink carrier cases, frozen-food boxes, etc.
- Styrofoam containers
- Clam shell packaging
- Disposable cups, hot or cold
- Wrapping and tissue paper
The city’s Electronics Recycling Center accepts residential electronic waste Monday through Saturday. The Center does not accept items from businesses, including home businesses, or nonprofit organizations such as churches and schools. This service is for Fayette County residents only.
Where to drop-off:
1306 Versailles Road
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Wednesday: Noon – 4 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. – noon
Follow the signs to the back of the property. Your items will be unloaded for you.