The Loan-a-Box program allows Fayette County residents who reside inside the urban service boundary to dispose of a large amount of debris using a city-supplied 10-cubic-yard container. The box is 10’ L x 6’ W x 4’ H.
This program is not for businesses or private contractors. Any items that are found to be unacceptable (see list below) or extending over the sides will be removed from the container and placed nearby.
The Loan-a-Box program runs year-round and is scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Call Waste Management at (859) 280-8556 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for more information or to reserve a box.
PLEASE NOTE: We will do our best to honor your scheduled date for the Loan-A-Box, however, breakdowns and emergency situations occasionally occur. Should a problem arise, we will contact you as soon as possible and schedule another date or refund your disposal fee. Contact our office immediately if the box is not placed according to your instructions. The city does not accept any responsibility for damage caused to driveways, pavements, or yards while the loan-a-box is being used.
Fayette County residents who reside inside the urban service boundary are charged a $90 fee per weekday, which covers delivery, removal, and the cost of landfilling the waste. If the box is delivered on a Friday, you will owe the $90 one-day fee, but you will have the box until Monday morning. If that Monday is a government holiday, the box will be removed on Tuesday morning.
Fees must be paid at the time of scheduling.
Credit and debit cards, as well as electronic checks, are now accepted over the phone. As of March 22, 2021, there is no longer an option for in-person payment by check, cash or money order.
Boxes are delivered on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. The box delivered Mondays – Thursdays will be removed the next morning unless the user rents the box for multiple days. Boxes delivered on Fridays will be removed the following Monday morning unless that day is a government holiday. In such cases, the box will be removed on Tuesday morning.
The Loan-a-Box program runs year-round and is scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Call Waste Management at (859) 280-8556 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday for more information or to reserve a box.
- Metal (basketball goals, fencing)
- Washers and dryers*
- Water heaters*
- Concrete or masonry materials (cannot fill more than 1/4 of box)
- Plaster and drywall
- Solidified paint (use kitty litter to dry out; can also be placed in green trash cart)
- Roofing (non-asbestos, small amounts)
- Rocks and bricks
- Dirt (small amounts)
- Tree limbs and stumps 6 inches or less in diameter
- Paper and cardboard
- Car parts including batteries, rims, tires, engine blocks and motors
- Refrigerators, air conditioners or any appliance that may contain Freon*
- Gasoline, kerosene or any flammable liquids
- Pesticides and chemicals
- Paint thinner and unsolidified paint
- Motor oil
- Utility poles
- Tree stumps over 6 inches in diameter
- Large amounts of metal
- Excessive amounts of brick, dirt, concrete or roofing
* Fayette County residents can recycle most appliances at no cost.