The Loan-a-Box program allows Fayette County residents and nonprofit organizations to dispose of a large amount of debris using a 10-cubic-yard container that can be filled with most types of debris. The box dimensions are (10’ L x 6’ W x 4’ H). This program is not for businesses or private contractors. Any items that are found to be unacceptable or extending over the sides will be removed from the container and placed on the property where the container is located.
The Loan-a-Box program runs year-round and is scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Call LexCall at 311 or (859) 425-2255 for more information or to reserve a box.
PLEASE NOTE: We will do our best to honor your scheduled date for the Loan-A-Box, however, breakdowns and emergency situations do occasionally occur. If this happens, we will contact you as soon as possible and another date will be scheduled or your disposal fee will be refunded. Please contact our office immediately if the box is not placed per the instructions given during scheduling.
The city does not accept any responsibility for damage caused to driveways, pavements, or yards while the loan-a-box is being used.
Fayette County residents and nonprofits with city waste collection service are charged a $75 fee, which covers delivery, removal, and the cost of landfilling the waste. This fee must be paid at least 72 hours in advance. There is no rental fee to use the box.
Fayette County residents and nonprofits who do not have city waste collection service can obtain the loan-a-box at a cost of $180. That fee covers waste disposal costs, plus the cost of dropping off and picking up the box. This fee must be also paid in advance. There is no rental fee to use the box.
Any payments being made in person must be made at Waste Management’s office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Acceptable forms of payment include checks (no counter checks), exact cash (office cannot distribute change) and money orders. All major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover) will be accepted. Credit card payments can also be accepted over the phone if made at least 72 hours in advance.
If paying by check, please make it out to: LFUCG and mail it to:
Division of Waste Management
675 Byrd Thurman Dr.
Lexington, Kentucky 40510
For residents/nonprofits with city waste collection
Weekday: Between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Removed the following morning.
Weekend: Between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Friday. Removed Monday morning. (Removed on Tuesday if Monday is a government holiday.)
Between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Container may be used for up to 3 days. Please specify number of days when scheduling.
- Metal (basketball goals, fencing)
- Washers and dryers*
- Water heaters*
- Concrete or masonry materials (cannot fill more than 1/4 of box)
- Plaster and drywall
- Solidified paint (use kitty litter to dry out; can also be placed in green trash cart)
- Roofing (non-asbestos, small amounts)
- Rocks and bricks
- Dirt (small amounts)
- Tree limbs and stumps 6 inches or less in diameter
- Paper and cardboard (can also be recycled in blue recycling cart or at recycling drop-off locations)
- Car parts including batteries, rims, tires, engine blocks and motors
- Refrigerators, air conditioners or any appliance that may contain Freon*
- Gasoline, kerosene or any flammable liquids
- Pesticides and chemicals
- Paint thinner and unsolidified paint
- Motor oil
- Utility poles
- Tree stumps over 6 inches in diameter
- Large amounts of metal
- Excessive amounts of brick, dirt, concrete or roofing
* Fayette County residents can recycle most appliances at no cost.