Help protect local creeks by participating in Lexington’s second annual Creek Sweep. Creek Sweep is an opportunity for individuals and households to hold their own litter cleanups from August 7–21 anywhere in Fayette County.
Volunteers are asked to pick up litter in their neighborhoods, backyards and parks. Rain washes litter into storm drains that lead straight to local creeks and eventually the Kentucky River. Cleaning up litter anywhere, not just next to waterways, leads to healthier creeks in our community and improved water quality in the Kentucky River.
Creek Sweep is intended as a stand-in for the Kentucky River Clean Sweep this year. Unlike Fayette County’s River Sweep, which involves volunteers gathering in one small location and sharing canoes, the Creek Sweep is designed to allow households to participate on their own, without needing to be in close contact with others.
From August 7–15, volunteers can pick up free Creek Sweep kits at partner locations throughout Lexington. These kits contain enough trash bags and disposable gloves for a 2-person cleanup.
Partner locations include:
- Pet Supplies Plus, 4101 Tates Creek Centre Dr. #130
- Kentucky for Kentucky, 720 Bryan Ave.
- Broomwagon, 800 N. Limestone
- Wise Bird Cider Co, 1170 Manchester St. #140
- John's Run/Walk Shop, 317 S. Ashland Ave.
- John's Run/Walk Shop, 3735 Palomar Centre Dr. #140
- Good Foods Co-op, 455 Southland Dr.
- J & H Lanmark, 189 Moore Dr.
- Most Valuable Pets, 921 Beaumont Centre Pkwy #100
- Boone Creek Outdoors, 8291 Old Richmond Rd.
- Cabela’s, 1510 Conservation Way
Kits will be available during the location’s regular business hours. Volunteers are encouraged to take as many kits as they’ll use. Volunteers may fill out a post-cleanup survey online to request a thank you gift for participating in the Creek Sweep.
Visit lexingtonky.gov/CreekSweep for updated pickup site locations, cleanup tips, and more information about volunteering.