Join volunteers throughout Lexington for Creek Sweep, an opportunity to protect our creeks while social distancing. Due to COVID-19, we cannot hold the Kentucky River Clean Sweep. Instead, we are encouraging neighborhood, backyard and park litter cleanups. Rain washes litter into storm drains that lead straight to local creeks. That means clean communities lead to clean creeks!
Free Creek Sweep kits will be available from pickup sites in each watershed from August 1-16. These kits are packaged in car litter bags and contain trash bags and disposable gloves for litter cleanups. Goody bags with watershed stickers and coloring sheets will also be available at the pickup sites.
Special thanks to WUKY @91.3 for being our media sponsor!
The Creek Sweep is for cleaning up litter everywhere, not just next to a creek. If it's on the ground, it's in our water! If you don't have a creek nearby in a backyard or a park, you can pick up litter along the sidewalk, in a park or in neighborhood greenspaces. Please do not go onto private property without permission of the property owner.
- Wear gloves when picking up litter.
- Be mindful of traffic and do not walk in roadways.
- Keep your distance from others not in your household.
- Wear a mask if you’re cleaning up in a populated area.
- Watch over young children, especially near roads and creeks.
- Do not pick up sharp or hazardous objects.
- After your cleanup, dispose of trash bags and gloves in trash cans.
Pickup sites will be available in each watershed during the location's regular business hours. You are welcome to get supplies from any location, but some of the giveaways are watershed specific. (e.g., If you pick up supplies from a Cane Run location, some of the giveaways will say "Cane Run.")
- John's Run/Walk Shop, 317 S. Ashland Ave.
- Good Foods, 455 Southland Dr.
- Kentucky for Kentucky, 720 Bryan Ave.
- curbside only - please call (859) 303-6359 when you get there and tell them how many cleanup kits you need
- Tates Creek Golf Course, 1400 Gainesway Dr.
East Hickman and North Elkhorn
- Lakeside Golf Course, 3725 Richmond Rd.
North Elkhorn - coming soon!
Kentucky River & Boone Creek
- Boone Creek Outdoors, 8291 Old Richmond Rd.
When you have finished your cleanup, please fill out this survey to receive a free neck gaiter that serves as a face covering or a dry bag. Choose your neck gaiter print from water drops or fish scales, as supplies allow.