Global Lex is a multilingual, multidisciplinary center where local residents and our foreign-born population obtain information, access programs and services, meet to celebrate cultural events and visit our international art gallery. Global Lex is available to facilitate strategic partnerships in a wide variety of fields in order to meet both our city’s, and our growing international community’s needs.
The multicultural affairs coordinator is charged with assessing the service needs of Lexington’s limited English proficient individuals. The office provides the government with Title VI assistance, cross-cultural communication training and outreach to our international communities. It is also available to provide this assistance to the community-at-large on request.
About Lexington’s international population
- Currently, speak some 162+ languages from all parts of the world
- Based on ELL student enrollment, local estimates are that 18 percent of the total Lexington population are foreign language speakers
- Lexington is following a national trend towards Asian immigration and foreign language growth
- Kentucky’s No. 1 export is a 10+ billion dollar industry, aerospace products!
- Kentucky is 2nd in the nation in aerospace product exports.
Kentucky Refugee Ministries
Maxwell Street Legal Clinic
Lexington Public Library Multicultural
Lexington Human Rights Commission
Kentucky Interpreter and Translator Association (interpreter training)
Lexington Human Trafficking Task Force
International and multicultural university higher and adult education links:
University of Kentucky International Center
International Student & Scholar Services
Education Abroad & Exchanges
Office of China Initiatives
UK Center for English as a Second Language
Bluegrass Community & Technical College Cooper Campus
Bluegrass Community & Technical College Newtown Campus / Carnegie Operation Read
English as a Second Language