Lexington hosts free paper shred events twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall. Fayette County residents may bring up to five boxes or bags of material to be shredded at no cost.
This event allows Lexington residents to safely dispose of their sensitive materials in an environmentally-friendly way. Shred-it, a division of Stericycle, securely destroys documents on-site with their fleet of mobile shredding trucks. The material collected is recycled into low-grade paper products.
About the event
The next event has not been scheduled yet. Please check back later.
Participants are invited to bring non-perishable food for donation to God’s Pantry. Currently, the most-needed items include soups, canned fruits and shelf-stable proteins. Please do not bring items in glass packaging.
The Better Business Bureau of Central Kentucky and Keep Lexington Beautiful Commission are also Paper Shred partners.
- Participants are limited to bringing five boxes per vehicle; no wet materials will be accepted.
- No plastic binders or binder clips should be included with materials.
- Staples, paper envelopes and paper clips are acceptable.
- Participants are asked not to arrive before 9 a.m. as event organizers will be unable to accommodate anyone before that time.
- Cardboard boxes will be collected at the event and sent to the Lexington Recycling Center.
Sign up for 311 alerts
311 Alerts is a system that allows residents to sign up for email notifications about city services and programs including special collection events like Paper Shred. Visit lexingtonky.gov/311alerts or register through the LexCall app for Android and iPhone.