The Addressing Office assigns, changes and verifies addresses within Fayette County. This keeps information used to support the 911 up-to-date.
This information is used by the U.S. Postal Service, the PVA and other service providers such as utility companies and private delivery services.
Street naming guidelines
All addresses must contain a street name. Such names may contain a maximum of 20 letters; however, names shall not contain fewer than two letters. The following are prohibited in street names:
- Numerical digits or numerical names
- Leading single letter phrases
- Initiating a street name with a directional term
- Confusing, obscene or irregularly spelled words
- Duplicate or closely approximate names of existing streets
- Abbreviations, except for the following, which may be abbreviated: (a) Fort shall be abbreviated as "FT"; (b) Mount shall be abbreviated as "MT"; and (c) Saint shall be abbreviated as "ST"; and
- Use of the words "service," "street," "drive," "avenue," or "court."