The Lexington Fire & Emergency Services completes a state required Patient Care Report (PCR) for all medical calls. These reports are considered Protected Health Information (PHI) and are strictly protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to insure patients’ privacy.
Reports are not released from the fire stations.
There is not a fee for obtaining a copy of EMS reports.
If you were a patient and need a copy of your report
A patient or legal guardian may request his/her own PCR by contacting the records coordinator at (859) 231-5668. Please have available the following information: incident date, incident location and approximate time of incident.
Reports must be picked up in person at 211 East Third St. with a photo ID.
PCR are restricted in disclosure in accordance with HIPAA. In order to obtain a complete copy of a PCR you must demonstrate proof of the following:
- You are the patient listed in the PCR. Picture ID required.
- You must sign in-person for the report after showing proper identification.
- The LFD is not permitted to fax a PCR in order to comply with HIPAA.
- If the patient is a minor or you are the legal custodian of an orphan, the elderly or other circumstance, you must provide legal documentation for review.
- A PCR may also be obtained by a court order or by providing legal authorization through a law firm representing you as a client.
- LFD is unable to release health information over the phone, by email, fax, text or other electronic methods.
If you are an attorney requesting a copy of your clients EMS report
An attorney may request a copy of their clients PCR. This request must be made in writing and must include the following information: incident date, incident location, approximate time of incident and the patient's name. A signed medical release form must be attached to the request letter.
Attorney requests are to be mailed to:
Lexington Division of Fire & Emergency Service
Attention: Records Coordinator
211 E. Third St.
Lexington, Kentucky 40508