The Lexington Area Metropolitan Planning Organization will host its first-ever StreetFest between 1 and 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 14, 2022. StreetFest will celebrate streets as shared, public spaces. The event is modeled on the Second Sunday events that took place a decade ago, promoting health and wellness.
Oliver Lewis Way between West High Street and South Broadway will be closed to traffic during the event to allow the public to bike, scoot, skate, jog, skip or walk freely on the mile-long car-free loop. Youth bikes will be available to check out from the city on a first-come, first-serve basis. This event marks the debut of the bike library from the recently awarded Paula Nye grant.
The event will also feature a bounce house, giant bubbles, sidewalk chalk, hula hoops and more. Free bike tune-ups will be available.
Structured activities and their times are:
- 1:30 p.m. High Fitness led by High Street YMCA instructor Jamie
- 2 p.m. Hula hoop contest
- 2:30 p.m. Slow bike race
- 3 p.m. Yoga class led by High Street YMCA instructor Chrystal
- 3:50 p.m. wrap-up procession led by March Madness Marching Band
Food and drink will be available for purchase from Cotton and Cone, Eddie's Roasted Corn, Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co., Nathan's Taqueria, Sav's Chill and West Sixth Brewing.
StreetFest is a part of Bike Month in Lexington. Other events include:
- A Bike to Work Breakfast on Town Branch Commons on Tuesday, May 17, and on Friday, May 20. The event will offer coffee, snacks, cycling information/resources and a free bike tune-up station.
- An introduction to commuter cycling that will teach you on the rules of the road, bicycle route planning, and bicycle safety. The event will be held at 101 E. Vine St. the evening of Thursday, May 19, and the afternoon of Sunday, May 22. Cyclists of all ability levels are welcome but must be over 14 years of age. The class will be led by League of American Cyclists certified instructors. Pre-registration is required. You can learn more and register at lexingtonky.gov/BikeWalk.
Follow LexBikeWalk on Facebook and Instagram for information on biking, walking, public transit, scooters, car sharing and more.