Arts and Music Class Registration
Lexington Senior Center is home to various recreation activities for Fayette County residents ages 60 and older.
Check out our newsletter to find out the date of our next class registration. Registration will be online or in person. At the time of registration, at $10 plus tax materials fee will be collected per class. If you are unable to sign up online you may come to the Senior Center on registration day.
Arts and Crafts
Activities are offered on a rotating basis. Check the monthly newsletter for current offerings. All classes listed below require pre-registration and material/equipment fees for each seven-week session. (*Indicates classes that do not require pre-registration or fees.)
- Advanced Hand Building – Refine and move into more complex forms and decorating techniques. Must have completed at least two hand-building classes.
- Advanced Wheel Throwing – Refine and move to more complex forms and decorating techniques. Must be able to throw a 4-inch cylinder
- Beginning Acrylic – Learn the basics of one of the most diverse paint mediums. Perfect for new painters.
- Beginning Charcoal – Like to draw? Learn the beauty and versatility of charcoal.
- Beginning Drawing – Core principles/techniques in drawing will be covered. Learn about form, light and color through use of still life and landscape studies. No experience needed.
- Beginning Hand Building – Learn the basics of coil, pinch and slab building. No experience necessary.
- Beginning Sewing – This is for the true beginner! Learn about the machine and the basics of sewing.
- Beginning Water Color – Offering both the true basics and intermediate techniques of water color painting.
- Beginning Wheel Throwing – Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel and glazing pieces. Must have taken Beginner Hand Building.
- *Crochet for a Cause – Participants crochet hats and lap quilts for area Chemo-therapy patients. No experience necessary. Patterns and instruction will be provided.
- Djembe Drumming – Learn basic hand drumming on the Djembe drum. No experience necessary.
- Eat. Weigh. Move – This interactive weight loss support group and workshop is packed with information so you can be successful in your weight loss journey.
- Instant Artist – Are you interested in painting but have no experience? This is the class for you! Join us with instructor Rose for step-by-step instructions on painting a masterpiece in one sitting.
- Intermediate Hand Building – Build on basic hand-building skills. Must have completed basic hand building.
- Intermediate Sewing – This class will build on the basics learned in beginner sewing. Must have had beginner sewing.
- Intermediate Water Color – Build on the basics! Explore this medium deeper. For those with water color experience.
- Intermediate Wheel Throwing – Building on your wheel throwing skills. Must be able to center and pull walls.
- *Open Art Studio – Open studio time is available to work on individual painting and drawing projects. Bring your own supplies.
- Piano I – If you ever wanted to play the piano but never did or stopped playing as a child, this is the class for you! Come and learn basic piano skills and have fun doing it!
- Piano 2 – Build on the skills you learned in Piano I. Must have completed Piano I before taking this class.
Cards and games
Join in anytime.
- *Bid Euchre – A variation on the card game Euchre. Open to all but availability is based on the number of players and groups present.
- Billiards – Open to all on a drop-in basis. Tables, pool sticks and equipment provided.
- Bingo – A game of chance in which players mark off numbers on a card as they are randomly called. Lots of winners and prizes.
- *Chess and Checkers - All levels of players are welcome to play.
- *Hand and Foot – A card game in which a player has to get rid of all their cards. This game is a variation of Canasta, a type of rummy.
- *Intermediate Bridge – For intermediate-level players. Open to all but availability is based on the number of players and groups present.
- *Mah Jongg – This Chinese game is played with tiles and is similar to a number of Western card games such as Rummy. Instruction is available.
- *Mexican Train – A dominoes game won by placing all your dominoes in a single chain or "train." Lots of fun for groups of people.
- Pickleball – Pickleball is a racquet sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis and table tennis. Our outside court and equipment are available to all participants. Sign out equipment at the front desk.
- *Pinochle – A classic two or more player game. Players score by taking tricks and forming combinations of cards into melds.
- *Scrabble – Board available for play anytime
- *Standard American Bridge – The most common form of bridge. Open to all, but availability is based on the number of players and groups present.
- Table Tennis – Open to all levels of players. Tables, balls and paddles are provided. Check the calendar for scheduled times.
*Please Note: Cards and board games will return when we are no longer required to social distance. Watch upcoming newsletters for more information.
Dolly, Jerry Lee and Elvis
Borrow one of the three available trikes, Dolly, Jerry Lee or Elvis, and ride around the park behind the Senior Center. Get exercise while enjoying all the park has to offer. Please see the front desk to check out a trike and helmet for 30 minutes at a time.
Dolly – 24" Traditional Trike
Weight limit 250 lbs.
Built with comfort, stability, durability and practicality in mind!
Jerry Lee – 24" Sun Bike Cargo
Weight limit 500 lbs.
This trike is oversized with heavy a duty frame and tall handlebars.
Elvis – 24" Sun Hand Trike
Weight limit 300 lbs.
This trike is hand powered with three speeds to choose from and a long wheelbase that makes for easy rider transfer.