Fire Station #1
219 East Third St.
Neighborhoods served: Downtown
Built by the Skinner Brothers and the Perry Lumber Company and designed by J. Graham Miller, this building replaced an older building on Short Street. In addition to housing the most response units of any fire station in the city, the Station #1 campus also houses the offices for the command staff, the offices for the civilian staff of the LFD, the dispatch center, the LFD Vehicle Maintenance Garage, the Fire Prevention Bureau, the SCBA/Cascade room, the LFD Quartermaster, the Communications Division, the Computer Shops, the Building Maintenance Bureau and Radio Shop.
Fire Station #2
1276 Eastland Drive
Neighborhoods served: Deep Springs, Meadows, Eastland, Dixie Plantation, Liberty Heights, Druid Hills, Eastland Park and other Northside areas.
Station #2 was relocated from East New Circle Road to its new building in 2017. It is the second largest fire station in Lexington and one of the busiest. Old Station #2 was built as the headquarters building for the Fayette County Fire Department and the Fayette County Police Department 21 years before the city and county merged in 1973. The left side of the station housed the police department, including several jail cells. The station became part of the Lexington Fire Department after the merger and still contains several Fire Department administrative offices.
Fire Station #3
370 Merino St.
Neighborhoods served: city-wide
Station #3 originally housed a horse-drawn response unit and then became an engine house with the advent of motorized apparatus. It served as an engine house until 1974, when the station was closed. After being used for storage and by the police department until 1989, it was reclaimed by the fire department and remodeled to house an emergency care unit. EC-6 called Station #3 home until 2005 when it was moved to Station #10. At that time, Station #3 became home to Rescue Co. #1 and was remodeled once again. Station #3 saw Lexington's last horse-drawn response on July 26, 1926.
Fire Station #4
246 Jefferson St.
Neighborhoods served: Downtown, Transylvania, Manchester and Rupp Arena
Named the "Vogt Reel House" for Henry Vogt, a former chairmen of the Fire Committee of the Board of City Councilmen, Station #4 is Lexington's oldest operating firehouse. It sits on land donated by Vogt to the city for as long as the city keeps an active fire station there. The building was built in the neo-Jacobean style and has survived for over 100 years. The station includes an active fire pole and an antique metal spiral staircase. It sustained moderate structural damage in November of 2007 when a van struck the station after the driver suffered a medical emergency. Station #4 is reportedly haunted and is a stop on ghost tours given each Halloween.
Fire Station #5
300 Woodland Ave.
Neighborhoods served: Chevy Chase, Cooperstown, Hollywood, eastern UK campus, Mt. Vernon, Bell Court, Montclair, Ashland Park and parts of downtown
Only slightly younger than Fire Station #4, Station #5 opened in 1905. It too, was originally designed for horse-drawn apparatus and if you check the attic you may find some remnants of the grain that was stored there for the LFD's horses. In 2005 the station celebrated its centennial anniversary with an old-fashioned block party. Honorary Battalion Chief Don Ridley, answered the 8 p.m. test at Station #5 nearly every night from 1965 to 2005.
Fire Station #6
501 South Limestone
Neighborhoods served: South Hill, western UK campus, Irish Bottoms, Pralltown, Downtown, Elizabeth Park, Medical Village, Southend Park and Angliana.
Originally called the Scovell Engine House after Melville A. Scovell, a prominent agricultural leader, Station #6 was built in the bungalow style. The top of the hose tower that was once used to dry cotton-jacketed fire hoses is still visible today. Station #6 was also the location of all LFD training until the current Training Academy was built in 1969. The grounds once featured a five-story training tower, visible-type gas pumps for the trucks to refuel and a burn building. In 1984, the station was remodeled and a large addition was built over the original foundation of the training tower. The addition included three new apparatus bays that replaced the single bay.
Fire Station #7
3307 Tates Creek Road
Neighborhoods served: Lansdowne, Merrick, Shadeland, Tabor Lake, Glendover, Gainesway, Walden Grove, Downing Place and Stoneybrooke
Fire Station #7 was built entirely by LFD personnel and was the first ranch style firehouse with many afterward following the same style.
Fire Station #8
1725 North Broadway
Neighborhoods served: Radcliffle, Winburn, Marlsboro Manor, Green Acres, Hollow Creek, Thoroughbred Acres, Kingston, Foxborough Manor, Warrenton, Hermitage Hills and portions of I-75
Built by LFD personnel, this was the second ranch-style firehouse in Lexington. Due to its proximity to I-75, Engine 8 once carried vehicle extrication equipment. The station was struck by a vehicle in 2010 and sustained structural damage.
Fire Station #9
2234 Richmond Road
Neighborhoods served: Idle Hour, Fairway, Lakeview, Woodspoint, Mt. Tabor, Patchen, East Hills, Raceland Estates, Lakeside, Woodhill and Palumbo
Although it was still built in the ranch-style, Station #9 was not built by LFD personnel but was contracted out. The land for the station was donated by Kentucky American Water Company.
Fire Station #10
1128 Finney Drive
Neighborhoods served: Douglas Park, St. Martins Village, Melbourne, Oakwood, Highlands, Sandersville, Greendale, Mercer Road Industrial, Griffin Gate and Georgetown Rd.
The fourth station in the 1960's building-boom, the design was also ranch-style. A third bay was added to the station in the late 1990's to house Ladder #3. Station #10's crews also issue and repair fire hose for the entire division.
Fire Station #11
1626 Harrodsburg Road
Neighborhoods served: Skycrest, Garden Springs, Pine Meadows, Cardinal Hill, Burley, Addison Park, Bob-O-Link, Red Mile and Man o’ War Place
The last of the 1960's building-boom stations, Fire Station #11 was built on land acquired through negotiations with Kentucky Utilities. Aerial #4 (now Ladder #4) was housed at Station #11 for many years until being moved to Station #12 and finally Station #20 upon its completion in 2001.
Fire Station #12
399 Southland Drive
Neighborhoods served: Rosemont, Southland, Hill ‘n Dale, Pasadena, Lafayette, Crestwood and Zandale
Built by the Eubank Lumber Company on what was then called Southern U-Pass Road, Station #12 was once the southside headquarters for the Fayette County Fire Department. The station is built over an active spring, which necessitates the use of two sump pumps in the basement to keep the station dry.
Fire Station #13
1432 Leestown Road
Neighborhoods served: Meadowthorpe, Leesway, Masterson Station, Greendale and Thompson
This station was built by the Fayette County Fire Department to replace their West Main St. fire station. It remained as a county station until the merger in 1973.
Fire Station #14
1530 Roanoke Road
Neighborhoods served: Cardinal Valley, Gardenside, Viley Heights, Holiday Hills, Garden Springs, The Colony, Wellesley Heights, Pine Meadows, Bluegrass Airport and Keeneland
Built using the tried-and-true LFD ranch styling, Station #14 was tucked into a grove of trees next to a creek to blend in with the surrounding neighborhood.
Fire Station #15
3308 Shillito Park Road
Neighborhoods served: Shillito Park, Robinwood, Capistrano East, Brigadoon, Fayette Mall, Monticello Estates, Fox Harbor, Blueberry Hill, Whispering Hills, Southpoint, Willow Oak, Mill Pond, Foley's Landing, Wyndham Downs, High Plains, Waverly and Waveland
Built on land leased from the RJ Reynolds Company, Station #15 was the last of the ranch-style fire stations built in Lexington. At the time of its construction, this was the fastest growing portion of the city, situated on its busiest roadway, Nicholasville Rd.
Fire Station #16
3700 Man o’ War Blvd.
Neighborhoods served: Squire Oak, River Park, Tatesbrook, Century Hills, Centre Parkway, Buckhorn, Park Hills, Gainesway, Tanbark and Hartland
Probably Lexington's most well-known firehouse, Station #16 is a unique underground structure nicknamed The Cave. While most assume the station was built into the side of a hill, Station #16 is actually a concrete dome covered by earth. The design was selected for its energy efficiency and its ability to remain a steady temperature even if power is lost.
Fire Station #17
4075 Royster Road
Neighborhoods served: Gleneagles, Rural Winchester Rd. corridor, Hamburg and the Polo Club Area
After purchasing this home with attached garage, the LFD renovated it into a fire station in a mere 3 months, thus creating Lexington's first rural firehouse. When first built, Station #17 reduced response times to this part of the county by 7-10 minutes and greatly reduced area fire insurance rates. Despite starting out as a rural station, #17 becomes less rural every year with the rapid expansion of commercial and residential areas in this part of the county.
Fire Station #18
1098 S. Cleveland
Neighborhoods served: Old Richmond Rd. corridor, Durbin, Athens, McCall's Mill, Clays Ferry, Chilesburg, parts of I-75, Elklick Falls, Damar, Jack's Creek, Walnut Hill and Raven Run
Lexington's second rural fire station, Station #18 was built to serve the southern end of the county. Due to its distance from downtown, Engine #18 carries vehicle extrication equipment.
Fire Station #19
3450 Huffman Pike
Neighborhoods served: rural northern Fayette County, Iron Works corridor, Lexington Horse Park
Continuing the rural fire station trend, the LFD built Station #19 to protect the northern end of the county with a rural fire apparatus and a paramedic. Situated next to several horse farms, Station #19 may have the best view of any Lexington fire station.
Fire Station #20
3001 Arrowhead Drive
Neighborhoods served: Beaumont, Indian Hills, Rabbit Run, Harrods Hills, Stonewall, Palomar Hills, Plantation, Firebrook, Clemens Heights, Dogwood Trace, Garden Springs, Copperfield and English Station
Built at the same time as Station #21 and using the same design, Station #20 features drive-through bays and a neighborhood friendly design. It also houses the offices of the Hazmat Team. Station #20 is famous city-wide for its extensive Christmas light display.
Fire Station #21
3191 Mapleleaf Dr.
Neighborhoods served: Gleneagles, Hamburg, Todds, Arlington, Polo Club, I-75 and Palumbo
Built at the same time as Station #20 and using the same design, Station #21 is situated in a neighborhood in one of the fastest growing sections of the city.
Fire Station #22
4393 Clearwater Way
Neighborhoods served: Waterford, Forest View, Lancaster Woods, Tanbark, Tates Creek Landing, Walden Grove, Camelot, Whispering Hills, Southpoint, Hartland, Pickway and Bradford Colony
Built using roughly the same design as stations #20 and #21, Station #22 was given some upgrades from the lessons learned on those stations.
Fire Station #23
5751 Briar Hill Road, Building #19
Neighborhoods served: Bluegrass Station, rural eastern Fayette county and I-64
Organized, built and staffed as a result of a unique partnership between the LFUCG and the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Station #23 is situated on the Bluegrass Station Army Depot. It was equipped and staffed with protection of the installation and its helicopter operations in mind, but crews also respond off of the base if needed. Station #23's crews protect countless flight operations each year.
Fire Station #24
2754 Magnolia Springs Drive
Opened: August 2019
Neighborhoods served: Northwest area of Lexington to include Masterson Station and surrounding neighborhoods, University of Kentucky Research Park and the interstate.
Opened in August 2019, Station 24 houses tanker 1 – the department's only tanker. The tanker holds 3,000 gallons of water and serves as a valuable water supply asset that fills a gap the department has experienced for many years. The site for Station 24 was chosen to support the residential growth in the northwest area of Lexington, including Masterson Station and surrounding neighborhoods, UK research park, and the interstate.
Lexington Training Academy
1375 Old Frankfort Pike
Built in 1969 to replace the aging training facility situated next to Station #6, the Fire Training Academy was designed to present many opportunities to Lexington's firefighters and recruits. The grounds feature a six-story training tower, a sprinkler training building, a state-of-the-art burn building installed in 2010, an auxiliary classroom building and a full-sized railcar.