The commission works to promote the inclusion and empowerment of people with disabilities within the Lexington-Fayette Urban County community, and to advise the Mayor and the Urban County Council on issues that impact persons with disabilities.
What we are doing
- Paratransit issues - researching other cities' paratransit services
- Sidewalk Ramp Improvement Locations
- Educate and promote businesses that hire individuals with disabilities.
- Formulate email blasts and contact lists to spread the word about the Commission, meetings and events.
- Create and conduct disability-sensitivity trainings for LFUCG employees and Council Members.
- Develop a campaign to educate and create awareness about handicapped parking as well as increase the penalty for illegally parking in a handicapped space.
- Increase the publicity efforts of the Commission.
- Cafe' sidewalk ordinance
Call the state SDA coordinator for any employment or property issues owned by the state. (502) 564-0348
Call Roger Daman, Administrative Officer, for any employment or property issues owned by the city. (859) 258-3962 or 311
Lexington private sector
Call the Human Rights Commission for any privately owned and operated business concerning access, employment housing in Lexington. (859) 252-4931