- A stable, more satisfied resident base.
- Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for active management.
- Lower maintenance and repair costs.
- Increased property values.
- Improved personal safety for residents, property owners and managers.
- Peace of mind comes from spending more time on routine management and less on crisis control.
- More appreciative neighbors.
Costs of drug activity in rental properties
When drug criminals and other destructive residents operate out of a rental property, neighborhoods suffer and property owners pay a high price.
That price may include:
- Decline in property values-particularly when the activity begins affecting the reputation of the neighborhood.
- Property damage arising from abuse, retaliation or neglect; property damage from police raids.
- Fire resulting from manufacturing or growing operations.
- Civil penalties, including temporary closure of the property -or even property seizure.
- Loss of rent during the eviction and repair periods.
- Fear and frustration when dealing with dangerous and threatening tenants.
- Increased resentment and anger between neighbors and property managers.
- The loss of other valued residents.
The crime free multi-housing program teaches you:
Prevention and applicant screening
- Crime Free Lease Addendum
- Benefits of applicant screening.
- Tips to strengthen rental agreements.
- How to become a proactive property manager.
- Maintaining a fire-safe environment.
- Development of life safety awareness.
Drug nuisance abatement
- Warning signs of drug activity.
- Actions you must take if you discover your resident or resident's guests are conducting illegal activities on your property.
- Role of the Police.
- Crisis resolution and the eviction process.
- Additional community resources for residents, landlords and property managers.
- Many other free materials will be available during class time.
About the free training being offered
The program was designed to help residents, owners and the managers of rental property to keep drugs and other illegal activity off their property.
It is honest, direct and solution oriented. Solutions are designed to be easy, yet very effective in reducing the incident of crime in rental property.
The program utilizes a unique three-part approach, which ensures the crime prevention goal and promotes a resident-friendly approach.
Phase One involves a seminar presented by the police and fire departments, a civil attorney, code enforcement personnel, and a lighting specialist.
Phase Two will certify that the rental property has met the security requirements for the residents' safety.
Phase Three consists of a resident crime prevention meeting.
Once all three phases are completed, a full certification will be received and managers will be granted the use of large meta/signs for display on the property and they will be granted the use of the program logo in all advertisements.
Call (859) 258-3636 for future training dates and times or for additional information.