The Housing Rehabilitation and Emergency Repair Programs are designed to help homeowners bring their houses up to the standards of the housing maintenance code. These programs provide funds and technical assistance so homeowners can hire contractors to repair their homes. The contractor is selected through a bidding process completed by the homeowner, with assistance from Grants and Special Programs. See below for more information.

Contractors Needed for the Housing Rehabilitation & Emergency Repair Programs

The following types of contractors are needed for our housing repair programs:

  • General residential remodeling contractors
  • HVAC contractors
  • Plumbing contractors
  • Electrical contractors
  • EPA certified lead based paint renovators
  • EPA certified lead based paint abatement contractors

Contractor Requirements

In order to perform work for these programs, contractors need to submit the following information:

  • Contractor’s information form
  • Registration with the City's Building Inspection as a general contractor, if applicable
  • $250,000 liability insurance and if have employees, workers comp
  • Federal Tax ID #
  • KY Tax ID #
  • LFUCG net profit license and number
  • Unique Entity ID (Obtain your UEI.)
  • Copies of all licenses and certifications

The above information must be listed on the contractor’s information form and submitted with copies of all licenses and certifications to:

Attention: Mark Putty
Grants and Special Programs
200 East Main St., 6th Floor
Lexington KY 40507

For more information or to schedule an interview, contact Mark Putty at (859) 258-3070.

EPA Lead Based Paint Renovation Certification Reimbursement Program

Grants and Special Programs is seeking EPA certified lead based paint renovation firms. To increase the number of qualified firms in the Lexington area, the City of Lexington is offering a reimbursement program. Eligible contractors will be reimbursed for the expense of obtaining the EPA lead based paint renovators certificate. To be eligible, the firm must:

  1. Qualify as a Section 3 business
  2. Be located in Lexington, Kentucky
  3. Must not be on the excluded parties list
  4. Must be registered with the KY Secretary of State and be in good standing
  5. Must have a LFUCG business license

Firms must apply for assistance using the application form provided. For more information on eligibility, please contact Mark Putty.

How to obtain certification

Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's website to learn how to obtain your certification.

There are two steps involved in obtaining your renovators certification. The first step is completing the initial certification by an EPA approved trainer which has an estimated cost of $250. Once you have received that certificate, you will need to send it to the EPA along with $300. EPA will then send you the EPA lead-safe certificate which will qualify your firm for completing lead-based paint renovation.

To see sample course fees for obtaining certification, visit sample course fees.

Abatement certification requires additional training, certification of all employees, and specific work practice standards. If your firm wishes to seek Lead Abatement Certification, visit the EPA’s website to learn more.