The Citizens’ Environmental Academy is designed to inform and engage Fayette County residents in environmental issues related to the work of Lexington’s Department of Environmental Quality and Public Works. The hope is that participants will help EQPW connect with the community by sharing information they learn with their co-workers, family, friends and neighbors and providing feedback from their networks to EQPW.
Topics covered include: waste management, urban forestry, stormwater, energy, transportation and wastewater.
The program will culminate with participants putting their knowledge to work by implementing projects related to the content of the academy and developed in partnership with city staff. Participants will pitch projects to their classmates during the October session. A limited number of projects will be selected by class vote. Each participant who remains in good standing will be given an allowance of up to $2,000 to contribute toward the project of their choice. Projects and budgets must be approved by the city.
We encourage you to learn about the projects from previous CEA classes.
Class of 2019:
- Upcycle Bluegrass
- Go See Trees
- Tree Care Videos
- Preston's Cave Springs Restoration
- Cane Run Greenway Installation
Class of 2018:
Participants in the Citizens’ Environmental Academy are expected to attend all sessions. The first session is required. Participants missing more than one of the other sessions will lose their $2,500 funding and eligibility to graduate with the current class. In special circumstances, participants missing multiple sessions may be allowed to complete the program during a future academy.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and live or work in Fayette County.
Applications for the Class of 2021 will open in February 2020.
- Notification deadline, April 19
- Graduation for 2019 class, May 18
- Session 1 for 2020 class, May 18 (8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Session 2, June 8 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Session 3, July 20 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Session 4, Aug. 17 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Session 5, Sept. 21 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Session 6, Oct. 12 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Graduation for 2020 class/Session 1 for 2021 class, June 13, 2020 (8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.)*