Citizens’ Environmental Academy is designed to inform and engage Fayette County residents in environmental issues related to the work of Lexington’s Department of Environmental Quality and Public Works. The hope is that participants will help EQPW connect with the community by sharing information they learn with their co-workers, family, friends and neighbors and providing feedback from their networks to EQPW.
The program will culminate with participants putting their knowledge to work by implementing projects related to the content of the academy. Participants will pitch projects to their classmates during the October session. A limited number of projects will be selected by class vote. Each participant will be given an allowance of up to $2,500 to contribute toward the project of their choice. Projects and budgets must be approved by the city.
Participants in the Citizens’ Environmental Academy are expected to attend all sessions. Each month, the agenda will be filled with tours, talks and hands-on activities; it is important that you arrive on time and be present for the entire session. Participants missing more than one session may attend the remaining sessions and participate in their choice of project, but they will not formally graduate from the program and will lose their $2,500 funding. In special circumstances, participants missing multiple sessions may be allowed to complete the program during a future academy.
Participants may apply to the program as individuals or as part of a group (e.g., set of representatives from the same civic organization, neighborhood association, church, etc.). Group applicants are still each expected to attend all sessions.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and live or work in Fayette County.
- Application deadline, March 30
- Notification deadline, April 20
- Graduation for 2018 class, May 19
- Session 1 for 2019 class, May 19 (8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Session 2, June 23 (8:30 a.m. to noon)
- Session 3, July 21 (8:30 a.m. to noon)
- Session 4, August 25 (8:30 a.m. to noon)
- Session 5, September 22 (8:30 a.m. to noon)
- Session 6, October 20 (8:30 a.m. to noon)
- Graduation for 2019 class/Session 1 for 2020 class, May 18, 2019 (8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.)