The Citizens’ Environmental Academy (CEA) is designed to inform and engage Fayette County residents in environmental issues related to the work of Lexington’s Department of Environmental Quality and Public Works. The hope is that participants will help EQPW connect with the community by sharing information they learn with their co-workers, family, friends and neighbors and providing feedback from their networks to EQPW.
Topics covered include: waste management, urban forestry, stormwater, energy, transportation and wastewater.
The program will culminate with participants putting their knowledge to work by implementing projects related to the content of the academy and developed in partnership with city staff. Participants will pitch projects to their classmates during the November session. A limited number of projects will be selected by class vote. Each participant who remains in good standing will be given an allowance of up to $2,000 to contribute toward the project of their choice. Projects and budgets must be approved by the city.
Participants in the Citizens’ Environmental Academy are expected to attend all sessions. The first session is required. Participants missing more than one of the other sessions will lose their $2,000 funding and eligibility to graduate with the current class. In special circumstances, participants missing multiple sessions may be allowed to complete the program during a future academy.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and live or work in Fayette County.
The application period for the Citizens' Environmental Academy Class of 2021 has ended.
2020-2021 Class Schedule
- Session 1 for 2021 class, Sept. 19 (8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Session 2, Oct. 10 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Session 3, Oct. 24 (8:30 a.m. – noon)
- Session 4, Nov. 7 (8:30 a.m. – noon) - canceled*
- Session 5, Nov. 21 (8:30 a.m. – noon) - canceled*
- Session 6, Dec. 12 (8:30 a.m. – noon) (via Zoom) - canceled*
- Graduation for 2021 class/Session 1 for 2022 class, June 12, 2021 (8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
*The remainder of the 2020 sessions are canceled. We hope to see you in 2021!
Past CEA projects
Class of 2020 (projects in progress):
- Stitch It, Don't Pitch It!
- Storm Drain Design Contest
- Wellington Park Community Streamside Improvements
Class of 2019:
- Cane Run Greenway Installation
- Go See Trees
- Preston's Cave Springs Restoration
- Tree Care Videos
- Upcycle Bluegrass
Class of 2018: