Lexington strives to be the most friendly and welcoming city for veterans, not only in Kentucky but in the country. To do this, we know there are opportunities to support our veteran community and their families. This page has resources, programs and events geared specifically toward our veterans in Fayette County.
Commission on Veterans' Affairs
The Commission on Veterans Affairs works to provide support to our veteran community. The commission is appointed by the mayor and approved by the council. Monthly meetings are held to discuss programs, events and other ways to help veterans attain the support they deserve. Including support for veteran families.
The commission meets on the second Wednesday of the month at 11:30 a.m. Meetings are located at the Lexington Senior Center, 195 Life Lane.
Ending veteran homelessness
In 2019, Mayor Linda Gorton announced a new partnership with federal, state and local partners to effectively end veteran homelessness in Lexington. The city was the first in Kentucky to be recognized for meeting the strict benchmarks needed for this achievement.
Working with the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH), the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), a system was developed to make veterans' homelessness rare, brief and non-reoccurring.
Included in the partnership program:
- Lexington VA Healthcare System
- Lexington Housing Authority
- Volunteers of America Mid-States
- Saint James Place
- The Hope Center
- The Salvation Army
- Community Action Council
- Lexington's Office of Homeless Prevention and Intervention
If you are, or someone you know is, a veteran experiencing homelessness, contact the Office of Homelessness Prevention and Intervention for support.
Additionally, the Kentucky Housing Corporation has a Veterans program, VETT, which provides support to Veterans Emerging Towards Transition. Learn more about VETT.
Kentucky Veterans Hall of Fame
Lexington is proud to be the official host city for the Kentucky Veterans Hall of Fame. The organization is devoted to recognizing military veterans who have continued serving their community after their military careers. You can learn more about the organization online.
Upcoming Events for Veterans
2023 Veterans Festival
Aviation History Museum of Kentucky
4029 Airport Road
Note: The 2022 event was canceled due to inclement weather. Details on an event for 2023 will be released when available.
The 2023 Veterans Festival is being held Saturday, October 21. More information will be coming soon.
Veteran Service Organizations
The American Legion
- Post 8 – 1230 Man O War Place | (859) 252-0022
- Post 341 – 1493 Leestown Road | (859) 259-1105
- Post 132 – P.O. Box 13563 | (859) 687-9086
Congressman Andy Barr's 6th District Veterans Coalition
Joint Executive Council of Veteran's Organizations (JECVO)
Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs
Kentucky Veterans Hall of Fame
Lexington VA Healthcare System
National Association for Black Veterans, Inc.
University of Kentucky Student Veterans Association
University of Kentucky Veterans Resource Center
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW Post 680)
Veterans Resources United of Central/Southeastern Kentucky (VRUCK)
Are you a Veteran Resource Organization not listed here? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you, or someone you know, experience a mental health crisis, please do not delay in utilizing the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. Just call or text 988 to be connected to a trained counselor who can provide support and resources.
- Need your DD Form 214? Learn how to get your DD Form 214.
- Did you know Kentucky provides free tuition to all state colleges and universities for dependents of certain veterans? Learn more about the Kentucky tuition waiver.
- There are numerous federal resources available to veterans. Find out how you can access these resources.
- Kentucky operates several long-term care facilities for veterans, including the Thomson-Hood Veterans Center in Wilmore, KY. Learn more about the Thomson-Hood Veterans Center.