We offer religious services for our multi-faith community.
The facility provides a chaplain in our multi-faith community. The chaplain helps with spiritual needs and development of the inmate and at times for family. They also administer a multi-faith slate of volunteers to facilitate such a ministry.
We encourage ministers to visit with their parishioners or other inmates. To do so we have scheduled times other than the public visitation hours:
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
(The most efficient use of time would be between 9 – 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 3 p.m.)
Saturday and Sunday: 4 – 6 p.m.
- On the first visit, the minister must bring an ordination certificate and driver license.
- Those ministers with no official ordination must have an official paper from their organization. Approval may need the chaplain's presence. Before coming for a visit, please share your materials to the chaplain via email or mail. The chaplain will review the materials. The chaplain will inform you and the lobby officers of the decision of clearance.
- If there are many pastors, the senior pastor should appoint two visitation pastors.
- Once a person is in the authorized visitor list there is no need for certification. Please bring a valid driver's license for identification at each visit.
- The minister must visit a relative or family member during public visitation hours.
Having a family member incarcerated is difficult for all people involved. You may request that a chaplain or an assistant make a visit.
Sometime in conversation we discover a program in which your family member may take part in.
Emergency – death or impending death
We know this is a sensitive time so please call the chaplain's office during work day hours. After hours and on the weekend call (859) 425-2700 ext. 7301.
For a Quran, New International Version Bible or a Spanish Bible, you may contact My Care Pack. These can be purchased through the commissary, who will deliver it. The inmate may also make this order from commissary.
At the inmate's request, Inmate Services will debit the cost of Bibles and Qurans for those without funds.
Mailing of the sacred text to individuals are marked “returned to sender” regardless if the book is from a religious organization or family members.
The chaplain will make special arrangements for some faiths because of limited materials.
The chaplain seeks volunteers of all faiths who have these qualities:
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to be nonjudgmental
- Respect for inmate confidentiality
- The ability to commit for one year
Some services need certain skills and program facilitation is important. If there is volunteer interest from you or a team from your organization please call about what needs exists. There is a rich variety.
Confinement may encourage reading. Call the chaplain if you have religious soft back books to donate for the religious reading carts.