Arts and Music Class Registration
Lexington Senior Center is home to various recreation activities for Fayette County residents ages 60 and older.
Check out our newsletter to find out the date of our next class registration. Registration will be online or in person. At the time of registration, at $10 plus tax materials fee will be collected per class. If you are unable to sign up online you may come to the Senior Center on registration day.
Arts and Crafts
Activities are offered on a rotating basis. Check the monthly newsletter for current offerings. Art classes run in seven week sessions and require pre-registration and a materials fee. Note: A * indicates a class that is not a part of regular seven week sessions
- Wheel Throwing 1 – Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel and glazing pieces. No experience necessary!
- Wheel Throwing 2 – Building on your wheel-throwing skills. Must be able to center and pull walls.
- Wheel Throwing 3 – Refine and move to more complex forms and decorating techniques. Must be able to throw a 4-inch cylinder
- Hand Building 1 – Learn the basics of coil, pinch and slab building. No experience is necessary.
- Hand Building 2 – Build on basic hand-building skills. Must have completed basic hand building.
- Hand Building 3 – Refine and move into more complex forms and decorating techniques. Must have completed at least two hand-building classes.
- Surface Decoration – Focuses on exploring decorating techniques for your pottery. Must have completed Hand building 1 OR Wheel Throwing 1.
- *Origami Workshop – Learn the traditional art of paper folding.
- Beginning Charcoal – Learn the beauty and versatility of drawing with charcoal.
- Intermediate Charcoal – Move into more complex shading and form. Builds on the basics learned in beginning charcoal.
- Beginning Acrylic – Introduces the basics of one of the most diverse paint mediums. Perfect for new painters.
- Intermediate Water Color – Build on the basics! Explore this medium deeper for those with watercolor experience.
- Beginning Water Color – Offering the true basics and intermediate watercolor painting techniques.
- Chalk & Soft Pastels – Introduces basic techniques of soft pastels used as inspiration.
- Beginning Drawing – Core principles and techniques in drawing will be covered. Learn about form, light and color through still life and landscape studies. No experience is needed.
- Intermediate Drawing – Enhances basic drawing skills while learning about light, color, & form.
- *Craft Class – Craft home décor items and seasonal decorations step-by-step, guided by an instructor.
- Beginning Sewing – This is for the true beginner! Learn about the machine and the basics of sewing.
- Intermediate Sewing – This class will build on the basics learned in beginner sewing. Must have had beginner sewing.
- *Crochet for a Cause – Participants crochet various items to donate to local charities and organizations. No experience is necessary. Patterns and materials during class time will be provided.
- Eat. Weigh. Move! – This interactive weight loss support group and workshop is packed with information so you can be successful in your weight loss journey.
- *Instant Artist – Are you interested in painting but have no experience? This is the class for you! For step-by-step instructions on painting a masterpiece in one sitting.
- Djembe Drumming – Learn basic hand drumming on the Djembe hand drum. No experience is necessary.
- Piano I – If you ever wanted to play the piano but never did or stopped playing as a child, this class is for you! Come and learn basic piano skills and have fun doing it!
- Piano 2 – Build on the skills you learned in Piano I. Must have completed Piano I before taking this class.
Cards and games
Join in anytime.
- *Bid Euchre – A variation on the card game Euchre. Open to all but availability is based on the number of players and groups present.
- Billiards – Open to all on a drop-in basis. Tables, pool sticks and equipment provided.
- Bingo – A game of chance in which players mark off numbers on a card as they are randomly called. Lots of winners and prizes.
- *Chess and Checkers - All levels of players are welcome to play.
- *Hand and Foot – A card game in which a player has to get rid of all their cards. This game is a variation of Canasta, a type of rummy.
- *Intermediate Bridge – For intermediate-level players. Open to all but availability is based on the number of players and groups present.
- *Mah Jongg – This Chinese game is played with tiles and is similar to a number of Western card games such as Rummy. Instruction is available.
- *Mexican Train – A dominoes game won by placing all your dominoes in a single chain or "train." Lots of fun for groups of people.
- Pickleball – Pickleball is a racquet sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis and table tennis. Our outside court and equipment are available to all participants. Sign out equipment at the front desk.
- *Pinochle – A classic two or more player game. Players score by taking tricks and forming combinations of cards into melds.
- *Scrabble – Board available for play anytime
- *Standard American Bridge – The most common form of bridge. Open to all, but availability is based on the number of players and groups present.
- Table Tennis – Open to all levels of players. Tables, balls and paddles are provided. Check the calendar for scheduled times.
*Please Note: Cards and board games will return when we are no longer required to social distance. Watch upcoming newsletters for more information.
Dolly, Jerry Lee and Elvis
Borrow one of the three available trikes, Dolly, Jerry Lee or Elvis, and ride around the park behind the Senior Center. Get exercise while enjoying all the park has to offer. Please see the front desk to check out a trike and helmet for 30 minutes at a time.
Dolly – 24" Traditional Trike
Weight limit 250 lbs.
Built with comfort, stability, durability and practicality in mind!
Jerry Lee – 24" Sun Bike Cargo
Weight limit 500 lbs.
This trike is oversized with heavy a duty frame and tall handlebars.
Elvis – 24" Sun Hand Trike
Weight limit 300 lbs.
This trike is hand powered with three speeds to choose from and a long wheelbase that makes for easy rider transfer.