Lexington Senior Center is home to various recreation activities for senior adults.
Arts and Crafts
Activities are offered on a rotating basis. Please check newsletter for current offerings. All classes listed below require pre-registration and material/equipment fees for each seven week session. (*Indicates classes that do not require pre-registration or fees.)
- Advanced Beginner Sewing – Build on Beginner sewing skills. Needs to have participated in Beginner Sewing.
- Advanced Hand Building – Refine and move into more complex forms and decorating techniques. Must have completed at least two hand building classes.
- Advanced Wheel Throwing – Refine and move to more complex forms and decorating techniques. Must be able to throw a 4 inch cylinder.
- Basic Draw/Still Life – Core principles/techniques in drawing will be covered. Learn more about form, light, and color through use of still life and landscape studies. No experience necessary.
- Beginning Abstract Acrylic Painting – Have fun while exploring new possibilities with painting. No experience necessary.
- Beginning Hand Building – Learn the basics of coil, pinch and slab building. No experience necessary.
- Beginning Sewing – This is for the true beginner! Learn about the machine and the basics of sewing.
- Beginning Wheel Throwing – Learn the basics of throwing on the pottery wheel and glazing pieces. Must have taken Beginner Hand Building.
- China Painting – Paint on china. We provide paint, kiln time and your first china piece. No experience necessary.
- *Crochet/Knitting for a Cause – Participants crochet hats and lap quilts for area Chemo-therapy patients. No experience necessary. Patterns and instruction will be provided.
- Djembe Drumming – Learn basic hand drumming on the Djembe drum. No experience necessary.
- Eat. Weigh. Move – This interactive weight loss support group and workshop is packed with information so you can be successful in your weight loss journey.
- Glass Mosaic Tile – Create a decorative art piece using glass tiles. No experience needed.
- Instant Artist – Are you interested in painting but have no experience? This is the class for you! Join us with instructor Rose for step-by-step instructions on painting a masterpiece in one sitting.
- Intermediate Djembe Drumming – Continue to build on basic hand drumming skills. Must have completed Beginner Djembe Drumming.
- Intermediate Hand Building – Build on basic hand building skills. Must have completed basic hand building.
- Intermediate Sewing Project – Sew one project to give back to the community and one small project for you to keep. This is an Intermediate sewing level class.
- Intermediate Wheel Throwing – Building on your wheel throwing skills. Must be able to center and pull walls.
- Italian Majolica Ware – Painting with stains on white opaque food safe glaze. Prior painting experience preferred. Some clay work is involved.
- *Open Art Studio – Open studio time is available to work on individual painting and drawing projects. Please bring your own supplies.
- Piano I – If you ever wanted to play the piano but never did or stopped playing as a child, this is the class for you! Come and learn basic piano skills and have fun doing it!
- Piano 2 – Build on the skills you learned in Piano I. Must have completed Piano I before taking this class.
- Surface Decoration – Explore slip trailing, mishima, water etching and more. Must have taken Beginner Wheel Throwing or Beginner Hand Building.
- Water Color Painting – Learn various water color techniques. No experience necessary.
2019 Class sessions and registration dates
Registration date – Tuesday, October 8, 2019
Session 6: October 14 – December 6, 2019
*No classes the week of November 25 for Thanksgiving holiday
Registration date 2020 Session 1 – Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Cards and games
Join in anytime.
- Bid Euchre – A variation on the card game Euchre. Open to all but availability is based on number of players and groups present.
- Billiards – Open to all on a drop in basis. Tables, pool sticks and equipment provided.
- Bingo – A game of chance in which players mark off numbers on a card as they are randomly called. Lots of winners and prizes.
- Chess and Checkers - All levels of players are welcome to play.
- Hand and Foot – A card game in which a player has to get rid of all their cards. This game is a variation of Canasta, a type of rummy.
- Intermediate Bridge – For intermediate level players. Open to all but availability is based on number of players and groups present.
Mah Jongg – This Chinese game is played with tiles and is similar to a number of Western card games such as Rummy. Instruction available.
- Mexican Train – A dominoes game won by placing all your dominoes in a single chain or "train." Lots of fun for groups of people.
- Pickle ball – Is a racquet sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis and table tennis. Our outside court and equipment are available to all participants. Sign out equipment at the front desk.
- Pinochle – A classic two or more player game. Players score by taking tricks and forming combinations of cards into melds.
Scrabble – Board available for play anytime
- Standard American Bridge – The most common form of bridge. Open to all, but availability is based on number of players and groups present.
- Table Tennis – Open to all level of players. Tables, balls and paddles are provided. Please check calendar for scheduled times.
Borrow one of the three available trikes, Dolly, Jerry Lee or Elvis, and ride around the park behind the Senior Center. Get exercise while enjoying all the park has to offer. Please see the front desk to check out a trike and helmet for 30 minutes at a time.
Dolly – 24" Traditional Trike
Weight limit 250 lbs.
Built with comfort, stability, durability and practicality in mind!
Jerry Lee – 24" Sun Bike Cargo
Weight limit 500 lbs.
This trike is oversized with heavy a duty frame and tall handlebars.
Elvis – 24" Sun Hand Trike
Weight limit 300 lbs.
This trike is hand powered with three speeds to choose from and a long wheelbase that makes for easy rider transfer.