- To prevent pollutants that will interfere with the operation of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Protect the collection systems and treatment facilities.
- To prevent pollutants in that sewerage system that will pass through the treatment works.
- To protect the health and safety of the water quality workers and the general public.
- To improve opportunities to recycle and reclaim municipal and industrial wastewaters and sludges.
Permits are issued for a three year period. Water Quality conducts compliance monitoring on all its industrial users at least once a year. Significant Industrial Users have self-monitoring requirements to sample and report. Inspections are performed by pretreatment staff on each Significant Industrial User once per year.
The Lexington-Fayette County area is served by two wastewater treatment plants resulting in two sets of local limits. The Town Branch WWTP services the northern and western areas and downtown. The West Hickman WWTP services most of southern and eastern Fayette County.