July 3, 2021
Ready, set, sign up! July’s Bluegrass 10,000 and Fun Run are back, with a slimmed-down in-person event, plus a virtual option. The Bluegrass 10,000 is a 10,000-meter race through the main business and historic districts of downtown Lexington.
Bluegrass 10,000 in-person
It's official! We are offering an in-person run for 2021! Join us for a start and finish at the intersection of North Limestone and Main Streets as we run together for the 45th year. The in-person race is no longer limited to a cap of registrants. We expect about 4,000 participants. The race will no longer release in waves. Wheelchair racers and elite runners are welcomed to start at the front of the line.
- 7:55 a.m. Wheelchair Race
- 8 a.m. Runners
- Startline/finish line: Main Street/Limestone, downtown Lexington. Other course details to come. This will not be a certified race course.
- Racers will be lined up in the plaza in front of the District and Circuit courthouses on North Limestone.
- Participant race results can be tracked and uploaded automatically by using the RaceJoy app.
- Friends and family can cheer along in person or virtually watch the race results via the RaceJoy app.
- There will be no awards ceremony. Awards can be picked up at the Carver Center, 522 Patterson St.
- Awards determined by chip time on racer’s bib throughout the race.
- Awards for top competitors will be announced over social media.
Bluegrass 10,000 virtual
The virtual race can be completed at any time from now until July 4. Virtual participants can use the RaceJoy app to upload their results. No awards will be given to virtual runners.
Fun Run in-person
The Fun Run is for those who want to run or walk up to one mile on Saturday, July 3. This event will take place on a different course downtown, close to the Bluegrass 10K course. Strollers are allowed in the Fun Run. No pets, in-line skaters, bicycles or skateboarders.
Who can participate?
The Bluegrass 10,000 is a footrace; however, wheelchair participants are encouraged to participate. Wheelchair and crank participants are governed by NWAA sanctions.
There are no age requirements to participate. Participants must independently run, walk or use a wheelchair (wheelchair division). Running strollers are allowed.
The following are NOT permitted in the 10K race: Pets, roller skaters, in-line skaters, skate-boarders, bicycles, etc.
Registration and fees
Registration (through July 2, 2021) – $35
For teams of five or more, team members only pay $25 each. Top five times will be averaged to determine winners.
1-Mile Fun Run
Regular – $35
Packet pickup and race shirt pickup opportunities for 2021
All participants – virtual and in-person – receive a commemorative T-shirt designed by Cricket Press and Lexington Parks & Recreation. In-person Bluegrass 10,000 and Fun Run participants also receive a race bib. We are unable to swap shirt sizes.
- June 21, 5 – 7 p.m., John’s Run/Walk Shop, Palomar
- June 22, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Lululemon in the Summit
- June 27, noon – 3 p.m., John’s Run/Walk Shop, Ashland
- June 29, 5 – 7 p.m., John’s Run/Walk Shop, Ashland
- July 2, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., Artworks at the Carver Center parking lot. This is the last chance pickup. No pickups on race day.
Men: Marcus Nenow 29:14 (1983)
Women: Lydia Kosgei 34:39 (2015)
Men’s Crank Wheelchair: Greg Queen 18:45 (2014)
Women’s Crank Wheelchair: Carley Pearson 25:44 (2014)
Men's Push Wheelchair: Paul Dietrich 24:19 (1996)
Women's Push Wheelchair: Aerelle Jones 32:09 (2018)
As always, parking is a concern with large events in a downtown setting. The official parking for the Bluegrass 10,000 will be the Lexington Center/Rupp Arena parking lot. This lot is approximately 15 minutes from the start/finish line.
Parking within the course is prohibited and you will be towed. We also discourage parking near the course on side streets as this can create traffic and access issues for these neighborhoods.