Tuesday, July 4, 2023
The Bluegrass 10,000 and Fun Run invites you to join us for our 47th annual race! The 10K foot race begins at 7:30 a.m., and the wheelchair race begins at 7:25 a.m. on Tuesday, July 4 in downtown Lexington. Our course is now USATF-certified! The Fun Run is a 1-mile course running through downtown, into Thoroughbred Park, and joining with the Bluegrass 10,000 for the finish. The Bluegrass 10,000 and Fun Run kick off the day’s festivities with a parade and festival to follow, plus Lexington’s Fireworks Spectacular in the evening. Don’t miss our early bird special pricing, and share the word with friends and family to get a start on any New Year goals.
Men: Marcus Nenow 29:14 (1983)
Women: Katy Kunc 33:33 (2021)
Men’s Crank Wheelchair: Greg Queen 18:45 (2014)
Women’s Crank Wheelchair: Carley Pearson 25:44 (2014)
Men's Push Wheelchair: Paul Dietrich 24:19 (1996)
Women's Push Wheelchair: Aerelle Jones 32:09 (2018)
Join us for a start and finish at the intersection of North Limestone and Main Street as we run together for the 47th year. Wheelchair racers and elite runners are welcome to start at the front of the line. No pets, roller skates, in-line skates, bicycles, scooters or skateboards are allowed.
The last day to register for the race is Monday, July 3. There will be no pickups on race day. We have a limited quantity of shirts ordered. Once they are sold out, no additional shirts will be ordered.
Race Start Times
- 7:25 a.m. – Wheelchair
- 7:30 a.m. – Runners
- Start/finish line: Main Street/Limestone, downtown Lexington. Other course details to come.
- Racers lined up at the start line on Main Street before the race.
- Participant race results can be tracked and uploaded automatically by using the RaceJoy app.
- Friends and family are welcome to come downtown and watch the race from the sidewalk. They can also cheer along virtually and watch the race results on the RaceJoy app. Spectators must watch along the sides of the course and should not block the running route and finish line area.
- The awards ceremony will take place in the Robert F. Stephens Courthouse Plaza.
- Awards are given to first-place male and female winners (overall and age category) for the foot race and wheelchair divisions.
- The official race timer, Good Times Racing, determines awards.
- Times for top competitors will be announced over Lexington Parks & Recreation's social media that day.
Bluegrass 10,000 virtual
The virtual race can be completed at any time from now until July 4. Virtual participants can use the RaceJoy app to upload their results. No awards will be given to virtual runners. Come to any packet pick-up to receive your race shirt.
The Fun Run is for those who want to run or walk up to one mile on Tuesday, July 4. The Fun Run begins parallel to the Bluegrass 10,000 start and ends at the same finish line. Strollers are allowed in the Fun Run. No pets, roller skates, in-line skates, bicycles, scooters or skateboards are allowed.
Who can participate?
The Bluegrass 10,000 is a footrace; however, wheelchair participants are encouraged to participate. Wheelchair and crank participants are governed by NWAA sanctions.
There are no age requirements to participate. Participants must independently run, walk or use a wheelchair (wheelchair division). Running strollers are allowed.
The following are NOT permitted in the 10K race: Pets, roller skates, in-line skates, skateboards, scooters, bicycles, etc.
Registration and fees
Dec. 31 – Jan. 1: 10K/Wheelchair $30, Fun Run and Virtual $20
Jan. 2 – June 4: 10K/Wheelchair $35, Fun Run and Virtual $25
The official parking for the Bluegrass 10,000 is the Central Bank Center/Rupp Arena parking lot. This lot is approximately a 10-minute walk from the start/finish line.
Parking within the course is prohibited and will lead to being towed. We discourage parking near the course on side streets as this can create traffic and access issues for these neighborhoods.