Fayette County residents will have the opportunity to safely dispose of unwanted hazardous waste at a collection event on Saturday, October 20. Lexington’s Division of Waste Management and other city agencies are coordinating the free event that will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event will be held at the former landfill site at 1631 Old Frankfort Pike.
“Used motor oil and antifreeze, herbicides, pesticides and other household materials accumulate in our garages, sheds and basements over time,” said Tracey Thurman, Director of the Division of Waste Management. “This event gives our residents the chance to remove these difficult to dispose items from their homes and help protect the environment by ensuring they are appropriately managed.”
Accepted materials include household cleaners, gasoline, automotive care products, mercury and solvents. Learn more about acceptable items. Residents dropping off items at the event must fill out a survey form. Get survey form
There are year-round recycling options for common household hazardous items such as latex paint and electronics. Latex paint can be taken to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore at 451 Southland Drive throughout the year to be recycled into new colors and resold. Fluorescent tubes and electronics, like televisions, radios, cell phones and computers, can be taken to the city’s Electronics Recycling Center at 1306 Versailles Road six days a week. These items will also be accepted on October 20.
The entrance to the collection event will be via Jimmie Campbell Drive. Residents are asked not to arrive earlier than 8:30 a.m. as the contractor and city crews will not be able to serve anyone before the event’s start time.
The collection event is funded, in part, by a grant Lexington received from the Kentucky Division of Waste Management as part of the Kentucky Pride Fund. The event is for Fayette County residents only; waste from businesses will not be accepted.
For the latest news on the collection event, including weather-related news and wait time updates, follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/LiveGreenLex, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/LiveGreenLex, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/LiveGreenLex .
Acceptable items are:
- Acids, Adhesives (floor, tile, etc), Aerosol cans, Alcohols, Algaecides/fungicides, Ammonia, Antifreeze
- Ballast, Batteries (auto, boat, etc)
- Carburetor cleaner, Caulking, Chlorine, Cleaners (engine, carpet, drain, etc), Correction fluid, Cylinders (propane, helium)
- Degreasers, Diesel fuel, Disinfectants, Dyes
- Fertilizers, Finishes, Fire extinguishers, Floor waxes, Fuel oil, Furniture strippers
- Gas and diesel additives, Gasoline (old)
- Herbicides/weed killers
- Lead paint, Linseed oil
- Mercury (thermostats/thermometers), Metal primer, Mineral spirits, Mothballs/flakes, Motor oil and filters
- Oil and transmission additives, Oil-based paints
- Paint removers and thinners, Pet flea and tick products, Polish (furniture, metal, shoe, etc), Polyurethane coating
- Rodenticides, Roofing tar, Rust removers
- Solvents, Spackling (drywall compound), Swimming pool chemicals
- Transmission fluid, Turpentine
- Windshield cleaner fluid, Wood preservatives/ sealers/stains
Explosives, firearms, ammunition, appliances, asbestos-containing material, infectious or medical waste, pharmaceuticals, radioactive materials, tires or smoke detectors.
Sign up for 311 Alerts
311 Alerts is a system that allows residents to sign up for text or email notifications about city services and programs including special collection events like the Household Hazardous Waste Collection. Visit LexingtonKY.gov/311alerts or register through the LexCall app for Android and iPhone.