Are you an excellent swimmer looking for a summer job? Next week, we have a great opportunity, as Parks & Recreation is offering a Red Cross lifeguard certification course. Not only is it a job for you, but once hired, you’ll be helping us open pools back up to full-time hours for all of Lexington to enjoy.
Classes will be held June 1 – 4, 2021. You must attend all classes to get certified. The cost of the course is $50. Payment is expected on June 2 and can be paid for by check, money order or cash (exact change only.) You must be 15 years old by the last day of the course.
You must be a strong swimmer to be a lifeguard. On Tuesday, June 1 at Woodland Pool, we’ll test everyone on the following skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. May swim using front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of the two. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed. The swimmer may use goggles.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Upon successful completion of the prerequisites, you will be expected to attend the remaining three days of the course.
Tuesday, June 1 | 9 a.m. – noon at Woodland pool, 190 Old Park Ave.
Wednesday, June 2 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Shillito pool, 300 Reynolds Road
Thursday, June 3| 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Shillito pool
Friday, June 4 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Shillito pool
Come prepared to get in the pool every day. Breaks for lunch will be provided.
Register ASAP as spots are limited.