Registration opens today for Lexington’s July 4 Bluegrass 10,000 and Fun Run races through downtown.
The 46th annual races will use the updated courses rolled out last year that proved popular with runners.
“Our Bluegrass 10,000 and Fun Run races have been a favorite Lexington tradition for 45 years. Many families participate together, across multiple generations,” Mayor Linda Gorton said. “Our Parks & Recreation team is already hard at work planning to make sure 2022’s race is the best one yet!”
Last year, University of Kentucky track stand-out Katy Kunc set a new women’s course record in the race.
Parks & Recreation is exploring ways for racers to train together and build community leading into July’s race, with more information to be announced later.
Details for the BG 10,000 and Fun Run follow.
BLUEGRASS 10,000 IN-PERSON
- Register for the race
- Registration – $35 (last day to register: July 3)
- No packet pickups on race day. A limited quantity of shirts will be ordered. Once they are sold out, no additional shirts will be ordered.
- View Bluegrass 10,000 race map.
- Race starts are 7:25 a.m. (wheelchairs) and 7:30 a.m. (runners)
- Start/finish line: near Main Street/Limestone intersection, downtown Lexington
- Participant race results can be tracked by using the RaceJoy app.
- Friends, family, and spectators are invited to come downtown and watch the race. They can also cheer along virtually and watch the race results on the RaceJoy app. Spectators must watch from the sidewalk and should not block the route or finish line.
- Awards ceremony will take place at the Robert F. Stephens Courthouse plaza
- Awards are given to the overall top male and female for the foot race and wheelchair divisions. Age category winners are announced and receive their trophy following the overall awards. Awards determined by the official race timer, Good Times Racing.
- Times for overall awards will be announced on Lexington Parks & Recreation's social media
- The Bluegrass 10,000 is a footrace; however, wheelchair participants are encouraged to participate. Wheelchair and crank participants are governed by NWAA sanctions.
- There are no age requirements to participate. Participants must independently run, walk or use a wheelchair (wheelchair division). Running strollers are allowed.
- No pets, roller skates, in-line skates, bicycles, scooters, or skateboards are allowed.
BLUEGRASS 10,000 VIRTUAL
- The virtual race can be completed at any time until July 4
- Virtual participants can use the RaceJoy app to upload their results.
- No awards will be given to virtual runners. Please come to any packet pick-up to receive your race shirt.
- Registration – $25
- Register for the race
- One mile race for those who want to run or walk
- Start location is parallel to the Bluegrass 10,000 with end at the same finish line
- View Fun Run race map here
- Strollers are allowed in the Fun Run. No pets, roller skates, in-line skates, bicycles, scooters, or skateboards are allowed.
Parks & Recreation, a division of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, oversees the programing, maintenance, and development of over 100 city parks and natural areas, six pools, five golf courses, community centers, recreational programs, and three arts venues. To find out more, follow @LexKYParks on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or sign up for the email newsletter.