The City of Lexington partners with the Bluegrass Regional Transfer Station to offer Fayette County residents a free** trash disposal day for non-hazardous household waste four times a year. Events are held in January, April, July and October.
The next event will be held Saturday, October 12, 2019 from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
at the Bluegrass Regional Transfer Station, 1505 Old Frankfort Pike.
**Construction and demolition debris as well as any items larger than what would fit in the curbside cart will not be accepted free of charge, but can be dropped off at the regular gate rate during the event.
About the event
Fayette County residents may dispose of up to one pickup truck load of non-hazardous household waste. Items normally serviced through the city’s curbside collection program, including bagged household waste as well as limited bulky items such as mattresses, small furniture, and up to four tires off the rim, will be accepted at this event.
Appliances, electronics and hazardous materials such as pesticides, motor oil and paint will not be accepted during this event. Appliances may be taken to Environmental Recycling Inc. at 3899 Winchester Road where they are accepted at no cost. Electronic devices, such as computers, printers, cell phones, microwave ovens and televisions, can be dropped off at no cost to the city’s Electronics Recycling Center at 1306 Versailles Road. Residents can donate liquid latex paint to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore at 451 Southland Dr.
The guidelines for the free disposal day are:
- Participants must present a valid Fayette County drivers’ license
- All loads must fit in a standard truck bed
- All loads must be covered by a tarp
- Only household waste will be accepted
- No more than four tires will be accepted, and tires must be off the rim
- No tire rims will be accepted
- No commercial vehicles allowed
- No hazardous materials, free-flowing liquids or yard waste will be accepted