We have received so many uplifting and hopeful inquiries about Ballet Under the Stars and it is great to hear from everyone! We too are hopeful we will be able to have the event as scheduled. However, it remains to be seen what reopening phase we will be in regarding mass gatherings and social distancing recommendations in August.
We are preparing as though it’s happening, knowing there are no guarantees or that it may look very different from how we usually do things. We are working on numerous program adaptations and contingency plans in the event we can offer the program with restrictions as outlined below:
- If able to start programming for groups of 10 and under, we will work to keep the dance groups under the limit and implement social distancing in the choreography and rehearsals.
- No parents waiting in the building. Dancer’s need to be dropped off and picked up.
- Teachers and dancers will wear masks to rehearsals.
- Some rehearsals were originally scheduled to begin the week of June 15. We are pushing this back to possibly the week of June 29, but no later than the week of July 6. This would require a commitment of at least two practices a week for the weeks leading up to production week to get everything done in time.
- No cast member absences will be allowed July 6 – Aug. 3.
- We have discussed adding a fifth show night on Wednesday to encourage smaller crowds each night and limit the seating available allowing people to spread out more. This would require that in park rehearsals would begin on Sunday night, July 26.
- No payments will be required until rehearsals begin.
- Audience sizes may be capped in accordance with the reopening guidelines.
- We are exploring options for the possibility of offering a virtual production for high risk populations that are unable to attend in person.
Ballet Under the Stars virtual audition process – application and video upload
This year's pre-show theme is Princess Vignettes II and will feature dance numbers from Frozen II, Mulan, The Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel.
Application and video submission deadline is May 20.
All interested dancers will need to complete and submit a Google Form application along with the required uploads as detailed below:
Ballet Under the Stars virtual audition process – video
Dancers who were in the 2019 production are not required to send in a video audition unless they are interested in a lead role or dancing en pointe (see below). We will use last year’s casting to determine placement for this year, but MUST receive the Google Form application along with a photo upload of the dancer with name and age.
- Send in the application with video of the requested combo if you are:
- A first-time participant
- Previous dancers from 2018 and before
- Send in the application with a video of the requested combo and a solo video (not a group dance) with choreography of your choice if interested in:
- A lead role (12 & older)
- Dancing en pointe