Sep 28, 2021, 6:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
This year, the Lexington Fire Department is celebrating its 150th Anniversary! To celebrate, the Lexington Fire Department has partnered with the Kentucky Blood Center to host a blood drive on Tuesday, Sept. 28 with the goal of giving back to our community in this unique and different way!
To make the celebration worthwhile, we have set our sights on the lofty goal of getting 150 donations in one day! And this challenge could not have come at a more important time. Currently, there is a massive national blood shortage where blood supplies cannot keep pace with hospital demand as the number of violent crimes, organ transplants, and trauma intakes trend upward following 16 months of COVID-19 restrictions. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unknowns regarding the length of the current shortage; however, we do know that the need for blood is constant. In short, we need more blood donors – we need YOU!
Blood centers are working around the clock to meet the extraordinary needs of hospitals and patients. But they can’t do it alone. All blood types are needed, particularly type O, as well as platelets, to help ensure patients get the care they need. Please schedule an appointment to donate at our blood drive as registration can be completed in a few simple, easy steps:
- Click here to begin.
- Select the type of blood donation you want to make – either whole blood (most common) or double red cells – using the tabs across the top (located just above the appointment time slots).
- Click on the appointment time you would like to schedule. There are appointments available under each tab.
- If you have donated with Kentucky Blood Center before and have a login, proceed with login. If not, click “Continue to Schedule” (or create an account if you wish). If you can’t remember your login, you can click “Continue to Login” and register as a guest.
- Complete the appointment details by entering your name, date of birth, phone and email. You can also select to receive text reminders here!
- Click confirm. You should receive confirmation of your appointment by email, if you entered one during the registration process.
If you really want to ensure your donation makes the biggest impact, schedule a Double Red Cell donation! During this type of donation, you will give more red blood cells than you would during a regular whole blood donation, which is exactly what most patients need! If that wasn’t enough good news, a smaller needle is used and fluids will be returned to you during the donation process. To learn more about the importance of Double Red donations and the donor eligibility requirements, click here.
As a token of our sincere appreciation and thanks, the first 150 donors will receive a FREE custom-made 150th Anniversary challenge coin. Please take the time to forward this life-saving opportunity to your coworkers, family, friends, neighborhood associations, etc. Thank you for your decision to make our community better, stronger, and more resilient!