Reforest the Bluegrass is Lexington's annual tree planting event. In 2021, there were two ways to participate.
- Reforest at Home was available for residents who would like to pick up a tree seedling from one of our partners to plant in their own yard.
- Reforest on-site plantings are available for a limited number of volunteers who would like to plant trees in parks and greenways around town.
Reforest at Home
Through Reforest at Home event, free tree seedlings* were available for Fayette County residents from noon on Friday through Sunday (first come, first served) at partner locations around Lexington on the following dates:
- April 9 – 11
- April 16 – 18
- April 23 – 25
*A limit of three trees per household, in total across all dates. Only take what you will plant and be considerate of others.
- More than 195 acres of floodplains restored
- More than 17,500 volunteers involved
- More than 150,000 tree seedlings planted
- Around 65% first-year survival rates
- Fewer than $175,000 of local government funds spent
- More than $130,000 private funds raised
- If plantings had been contracted out, they would have cost $1.2 million.
GOLDEN OAK SPONSORS
Kentucky American Water
SILVER MAPLE SPONSORS
John’s Run/Walk Shop
Big Beaver Tree Service
BRONZE PINE SPONSORS
Big Bang Customs
Paul Miller Ford/Fortune Collision