March 25, 2020 update:
- Bolivar St. will be one-way from S. Upper to S. Broadway beginning on Monday, March 30. Commuters coming from Oliver Lewis Way and S. Broadway can use Cedar St. as a detour.
- The Avenue of Champions lane closure will be extended to Rose St. on Wednesday, April 1. Avenue of Champions will be one-way from Rose St. to S. Limestone. Commuters traveling from S. Limestone should use E. Maxwell St. as a detour. The sidewalks on the north side of Avenue of Champions and the south side from S. Limestone to Martin Luther King Blvd. will remain open. The sidewalk on the south side of Avenue of Champions from Martin Luther King Blvd. to Rose St. will be closed.
- These traffic changes are expected to last for several months.
March 16, 2020 update:
- The closure of the intersection at Chair Ave. and Scott St. has been extended to March 23. Area businesses remain accessible during this closure.
March 11, 2020 update:
The intersection of S. Upper and Winslow Streets will be closed from 7 p.m. on Friday, March 13 to 6 a.m. on Monday, March 16, weather permitting. Area businesses will remain open during this closure.
Bolivar Street will be one-way from Plunkett St. toward Oliver Lewis Way and S. Broadway from March 23 – 27. Commuters traveling from Oliver Lewis Way and S. Broadway can use Cedar St. as a detour to South Upper St.
The intersection of Chair Ave. and Scott St. is closed from March 9 – 17. Area businesses remain accessible during this closure.
Avenue of Champions is currently one-way toward S. Limestone and will remain so until Fall, 2020. Commuters traveling from S. Limestone should use E. Maxwell St. as a detour. Sidewalks on both sides of Avenue of Champions are open. To cross Avenue of Champions, pedestrians should use the crosswalks at S. Limestone and Lexington Ave.
March 4, 2020 update: Traffic changes are coming soon to allow sewer construction to proceed.
- Beginning Monday, March 9: Avenue of Champions Avenue of Champions will be restricted to one-way traffic from Lexington Ave. to S. Limestone. Traffic from S. Limestone will not be able to turn right onto Avenue of Champions and must use Maxwell St. as a detour.
- Friday, March 13 at 7 p.m. - Monday, March 16 at 6 a.m: Upper St. will be closed to all traffic at the Winslow intersection.
- Please see maps below for detour routes.
February, 2020 update: Construction on Winslow has begun! One lane of Winslow, which runs one-way between South Limestone and South Upper Street, is closed for sewer construction. Sewer crews will also work on a sewer pipe installation running from Patterson Street to South Broadway. This segment of the project will have limited traffic impacts on Chair Avenue and Emmaline Lane. South Upper Street is scheduled to be closed at Winslow during the weekend of March 14 and 15 for the installation of a new manhole and 40 feet of pipe. Detour and traffic information coming soon.
About the project
Lexington is replacing two miles of sanitary sewer line between Oliver Lewis Way and Tates Creek Road. The project runs on Euclid Avenue through the University of Kentucky campus and the Chevy Chase business district. This two-year project will cost $10.93 million, and is part of the city’s obligations under the court-ordered consent decree with the Environmental Protection Agency to improve Lexington’s sanitary sewers.
The original sanitary sewer was built in 1934 and is in disrepair, with defects and leaks that are difficult to reach. The pipe runs under many buildings, including the UK Fine Arts Center. Because the sewer is inaccessible in its current location, the new line is being laid in the street for easier access in case of repairs or other issues.
While this sanitary sewer project will be disruptive in the short term, it will improve Lexington’s water quality down the road. Though the federal consent decree to improve the city’s sewers is driving the timeline, the benefit to water quality in our local creeks and the increased sewer capacity for future growth makes this project a necessity.
Bolivar St. detour map
Avenue of Champions detour map
Chair Avenue construction area
Winslow Street construction area