GTV3 began cablecasting on cable channel 3 in Lexington in 1980 with Council meetings and a rotating bulletin board. Today, GTV3 produces over 700 hours of live meeting coverage and 600 hours of original programming annually. All Council committees, Work Sessions and Council Meetings are also replayed during the same week so citizens have other opportunities to view these meetings. Other meetings covered on a “live only” basis on GTV3 include Board of Architectural Review, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Metropolitan Planning Organization, Public Hearings, Meetings and Forums.
GTV3 produces a unique live traffic program. Beginning in May on 2003, Crosstown Traffic started cablecasting from 6:30 to 8:30 am from the ultra-modern Traffic Management Center. This live and informative program about Lexington traffic gives citizens current situations on the arterials, connector streets and interstate highways in and around the city. Viewers can also see what their morning commute might look like with the more than 45 traffic cameras also featured heavily during the program.
CLICK HERE FOR THE GTV3 PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Other programs produced by GTV3 are:
- Lexington Now is a weekly half-hour program that provides citizens a look at current and ongoing Urban County Government events, press conferences and information about projects and activities in and around Lexington and Fayette County.
- Only Downtown features events, projects, and segments about downtown Lexington. This includes items such as new building projects, new city initiatives, restaurants, parking, plays, arts displays and any other important information regarding downtown.
- A Greener Bluegrass is an environmental program that features ongoing green initiatives such as rain barrels (Lily's), rain gardens, green homes and any Public Works issues.
- Special Programs and Public Service Announcements play throughout the GTV3 program schedule to inform and educate the public about ongoing events, special programs and items important to the citizens and their lives.
- Council Reports. Each councilmember is entitled to one 15-minute program produced each month. These programs are optional for the councilmembers who wish to do them.
- Local Music Monday is a program that features the grassroots music industry of Lexington. Watch the program here