Containers are required at the expense of the owner or tenant at the following locations:
- Apartments, townhouses, or condominiums of 7 units or more.
- All office, commercial, and industrial properties.
- Complexes or groups of apartments, townhouses, or condominiums which may individually have less than 7 units, but are developed as a project whose total units exceed 7 and either
- have a common or shared parking
- share entrances and exits
- have units which do not border public streets, and do not have direct access to a curb
- are situated where roll carts would be grouped in a central location, causing a nuisance to pedestrian traffic
A dumpster cannot be placed on any site without a permit from the Division of Waste Management. An establishment or its dumpster-leasing company should request the permit by calling the Division of Waste Management at 425-2255.
All new tenants/owners who move into a site that has an existing dumpster must also be issued a dumpster permit. You should contact the dumpster-leasing company and notify them that you are a new owner or tenant. The dumpster-leasing company's name is always located on the dumpster container.
The Division of Waste Management does not lease dumpster containers.
An inspector from the Division of Waste Management will visit the proposed site to determine its acceptability in regard to screening, overhead obstructions, truck access, etc. If the site is found acceptable, a permit will be issued upon receipt of the permit fee, which is $25.00.
If conditions do not meet with the inspector's approval, a list of the needed improvements will be given to the owner/tenant in order to bring the site up to standards.
When the standards have been met, a re-inspection will be conducted, and a permit is issued after the fee is received.
Non-permitted dumpsters will not be serviced and fines for maintaining such dumpsters can range from $25.00 to $500.00.
If you have any further questions regarding dumpster permits, please EMAIL US.
Information on Dumpster Screening.
Dumpster Service & Collection
The Division of Waste Management provides a basic service of 2 collections per week for eight- (8-), six- (6-), four- (4-) and two- (2-) yard dumpsters only.
Additional collections are available at a charge of:
- $48.20 per container per month for 8-yard containers
- $36.15 per container per month for 6-yard containers
- $24.10 per container per month for 4-yard containers
- $12.05 per container per month for 2-yard containers
The Division of Waste Management can perform Extra Dumps upon request. Please call LexCall at 311 or 425-2255 to get a pick up scheduled and to inquire about pricing. Only check, cash or money order will be accepted for the payment of an extra dump. We are not able to bill or send invoices for payment. Payment is due at the time service is rendered. The driver will pick up the payment in the business office prior to performing any service to the dumpster for an extra dump. The receipt will be mailed to the business once payment is received in our office.
If one of your collection days falls on a holiday, your dumpster will be serviced on your next scheduled collection day.
Dumpsters that are filled by compactors are not serviced, nor are temporary construction dumpsters or dumpsters on casters.
Dumpsters must be accessible for collection 24 hours a day.
Whenever possible, businesses are encouraged to share dumpsters.
We want to service your dumpster, however certain conditions prevent us from doing so. Here are some of the reasons your container may not be serviced:
- Our trucks cannot get to the dumpster because a vehicle or other obstruction prohibits access. We will try to return for collection only if the driver's schedule allows. Otherwise, we will return on your next scheduled collection day.
- The dumpster container has been overfilled beyond the truck's lifting capacity.
- The dumpster contains illegal material, whether you or someone else placed it there.
- Overhead electrical lines.
- Dumpster container needs repair.
Call 425-2255 or EMAIL US for any questions about dumpster service.
Bulky Item Pickup
The Division of Waste Management will not collect bulky items that are byproducts of a business. This includes appliances that are furnished by apartment complexes. Apartment complexes may utilize our free drop-off center for appliances.
(LFUCG Code of Ord. No. 16-4 & 16-5) . The drop-off center is located at 3899 Winchester Road at the Environmental Recycling facility. Click here to view a map.
Apartment complexes must designate a location where residents can put acceptable bulky items for pickup. All designated locations must have prior approval from the Division of Waste Management. Please call 425-2255 or EMAIL US for additional assistance.
All dumpsters shall be maintained in a safe and sanitary condition. The dumpster user shall maintain cleaning to prevent the container from becoming malodorous.
Litter and debris shall not be allowed to accumulate around the dumpster and all waste shall be deposited in such a manner as to prevent spilling or blowing out of the dumpster container.
All dumpster container repairs and maintenance are the responsibility of the dumpster owner or leaseholder.
Many complaints are received about odors coming from dumpster containers during the summer months. The Urban County Government does not spray dumpster containers. A small garden-type sprayer, containing a common disinfectant will usually take care of the problem.
The Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government charges a disposal fee for putting material in the landfill. You will receive a monthly bill from the Division of Revenue according to the size of your dumpster container. If you are a property owner and wish to have your tenants billed for their own disposal fees, you may contact the Division of Revenue at 258-3340 to request information about a Tenant Agreement form for the landfill user fee. Here are the monthly disposal fees.
- 2 cubic yard -$12.05
- 4 cubic yard -$24.10
- 6 cubic yard -$36.15
- 8 cubic yard -$48.20