Lexington's Share the Road Campaign seeks to promote safe and courteous interactions between bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists. We want to see more people on bikes, more people walking and more motorists that are aware of the rights of bicyclists and pedestrians. We also want those riding bikes and walking to be educated, safe and responsible when sharing the road.
Here are some ways that LFUCG and many of our community partners are spreading the word this summer and through the coming year:
· Share the Road ads on Lextran buses
· Share the Road ads on local bill boards
- Share the Road signage. Forty signs have been installed to date. To suggest a sign location contact firstname.lastname@example.org
· Rules of the road tips sheets distributed to:
o Drivers entering LFUCG seat belt check-points
o Drivers exiting city parking garages
o UK students and employees receiving campus parking passes
o UK students and employees registering a bike on campus
o Drivers using two local Clean Sweep Car Washes
· Share the Road tips included in the LFUCG Parks & Recreation Fun Guide (the guide is distributed to every household in Fayette County!)
· Share the Road bumper stickers placed on city fleet vehicles
· Free copies of John Allen’s Street Smarts books available at local bike shops or by mail by calling Lexcall at 311
· Share the Road banners posted in prominent locations at major city parks
· Share the Road tip sheets available at the Vehicle Registration counter at the County Clerk’s Office
· Bike safety video to be viewed by students and employees registering a bike on UK’s campus.
· Bike safety videos to air on Local GTV3 channels
· LFUCG Police will be brushing up on laws relating to bicycling during ‘roll calls’
· LFUCG Police will issue warnings to bicyclists practicing unsafe and unlawful behaviors
· LFUCG Police have assigned a liaison to the bicycling community. If you are harassed on the road you can contact police at 258-3600 or Lexcall (311) to report the incident. In emergencies, please call 911.
- Bicyclists can contact Lexcall by dialing 311 or 425-2255 for all bicycle-related requests including road hazards, maintenance needs or to request maps or other information.
Just for Bicyclists -
· Legal Requirements
· Sharing the Road
Visit the League of American Bicyclists ‘Ride Better’ site for tons of great information on rules of the road, commuting, bike maintenance, riding safer and more confidently.
You can also pick up a free copy of John Allen’s Bicycle Street Smarts book at any local bike shop (insert cover photo) or call Lexcall at 311 to have a copy mailed to you.
If you are interested in attending a bike education class taught by League Certified Cycling Instructors, email@example.com and we will contact you with upcoming opportunities.
View State Bike-related Traffic Laws
View Local Bike-related Traffic Laws
Note: We’re currently working with LFUCG Police to revise our local bike laws. If there are changes you would like to see, please email us.
Just for Pedestrians –
· Tips for Pedestrians
View State Pedestrian-related Traffic Laws
View Local Pedestrian-related Traffic Laws
Just for Drivers –
· Motorists and Bicyclists
· Motorists and Pedestrians
The Share the Road Campaign is funded through the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ). CMAQ is a federally funded program administered by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
Visit: Bike/Walk Kentucky and Share the Road KY for more info in statewide bicycling and walking initiatives.
Visit: Bike/Walk Lexington for more info on bicycling and walking initiatives in Lexington