The New Residential Construction Section’s objective is to provide for healthy, safe, and structurally sound residential housing throughout Lexington-Fayette County through enforcement of the 2007 Kentucky Residential Code, and the Urban County Zoning Ordinance. All new residential construction requires complete plans review and permit acquisition prior to construction.
Applications for residential building permits are available for download from this site or can be picked up in person from the Division of Building Inspection at 101 E. Vine St., Suite 210 during working hours.
The following are required for plan review:
- A dimensioned site plan which locates the structure on the lot.
- A foundation plan showing poured wall or crawl space details, if applicable.
- A floor plan with all rooms identified and dimensioned.
- A proper wall section
- Front, side and rear elevations of the proposed structure.
- Framing details including joist and rafter layouts, truss layout, and knee walls, if applicable.
- Floor elevation callout on site plan, relative to closest downstream manhole.
- LFUCG Division of Engineering approval of site drainage and erosion control measures.
All plans must be on paper no smaller than 8 1/2" X 11" and must be drawn to scale or properly dimensioned.
Plans may be submitted for review or can be reviewed upon request at the counter on first come first served basis during regular working hours.
Permit fees are based on the square footage to be built and a per dwelling base fee.
On-site inspections are required to be scheduled and will be provided by a new construction staff inspector free of charge. A final inspection, approval and "Certificate of Occupancy" are required by state law, prior to occupancy of any residential structure.