Discovery Exhibit: Amazing Animal Adaptations (LASC)
The Living Arts & Science Center Event
5/5/2012 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Free and open to the public
Amazing Animal Adaptations
Sept. 2011 – Aug. 2012
Gallery Hop: Friday, September 16 5-8 PM
Take a trip through the biomes of the world and discover the diversity of Amazing Animal Adaptations! This exhibit is suitable for all ages and will continue through the summer 2012. Guided field trips are available for schools, youth and adult groups. Click here for more information on field trips. Students will explore unique animal survival methods as they:
• Visit habitats in the tundra, rainforest, temperate forest, desert, deep sea, and several other aquatic ecosystems. Use the non-living characteristics of these ecosystems to explain the environmental pressures that direct animal adaptations.
• Discover the diversity of LIVE ANIMALS including an iguana, tree frogs, snakes, a tarantula, sea anemones, and more!
• Determine which of their characteristics are inherited adaptations and which are learned behaviors.
• Enter the world of nocturnal animals. As your eyes adjust, learn about the adaptations of the creatures of the night, and test your own ability to survive in the dark!
• Imagine you are submerged thousands of feet below sea level, where no sunlight penetrates. Explore the animals and the ecosystems that survive without the sun!
• Travel back in time to learn about the changes in environment that caused extinction of animals whose adaptations were not suited to the new situations.
• View animals in habitats around the world and observe their responses to outside stimuli.
• Search the forest, desert, and ocean for camouflaged animals and others sporting the bright colors of warning.
• Describe differences in feathers from various species – and from the same bird. Then discover other adaptations that allow birds to fly.
Click here for more information.
LASC Business Hours
September – May
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday – 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
June – August
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 5:30 PM