Fire Station # 1
Address: 219 East Third Street
Units: E-1, L-1, EC-1, EC-13, MA-1, MA-2, CP-1, MAB-1, MC-1, 205, 200, Response Trailers
Neighborhoods Served: Downtown
The History: Built by the Skinner Brothers and the Perry Lumber Company and designed by J. Graham Miller, this building replaced an older building on Short Street. In addition to housing the most response units of any fire station in the City, the Station #1 campus also houses the offices for the command staff, the offices for the civilian staff of the LFD, the dispatch center, the LFD Vehicle Maintenance Garage, the Fire Prevention Bureau, the SCBA/Cascade room, the LFD Quartermaster, the Communications Division, the Computer Shops, the Building Maintenance Bureau and Radio Shop.
Interesting Fact: Station #1 has four fire poles, all of which are still in use.
Fire Station #2
Address: 415 East New Circle Road
Units: Engine Co. #2, Ladder Co. #5, EC-8, District Major 201
Neighborhoods Served: Kenawood, Rookwood, Hi Acres, Deep Springs, Meadows, Eastland, Dixie Plantation, Liberty Heights, Druid Hills, Eastland Park and other Northside areas.
The History: Station #2 was built as the headquarters building for the Fayette County Fire Department and the Fayette County Police Department 21 years before the City and County merged in 1973. The left side of the Station housed the police department, including several jail cells. The station became part of the Lexington Fire Department in 1973 after the merger.
Interesting Fact: The LFD's radio system and repeater were housed here for many years.
Fire Station #3
Address: 370 Merino Street
Units: Rescue Co. #1
Neighborhoods Served: R1 responds citywide
The History: Station #3 originally housed a horse drawn response unit and then became an engine house with the advent of motorized apparatus. It served as an engine house until 1974, when the station was closed. After being used for storage and by the Police Department until 1989, it was reclaimed by the Fire Department and remodeled to house an emergency care unit. EC-6 called Station 3 home until 2005 when they were moved to Station #10. At that time, Station #3 became home to Rescue Co. #1, and was remodeled once again.
Interesting Fact: Station #3 saw Lexington's last horse-drawn response on July 26, 1926
Fire Station #4
Address: 246 Jefferson Street
Units: Engine Co. #4
Neighborhoods Served: Downtown, Transylvania, Manchester, Rupp Arena
The History: Named the "Vogt Reel House" for Henry Vogt, a former Chairmen of the "Fire Committee of the Board of City Councilmen," Station #4 is Lexington's oldest operating firehouse. It sits on land donated by Mr. Vogt to the City for as long as the City keeps an active fire station there. The building was built in the neo-Jacobean style and has survived for over 100 years. The station includes an active fire pole and an antique metal spiral staircase. The station sustained moderate structural damage in November of 2007 when a van struck the station after the driver suffered a medical emergency.
Interesting Fact: Station #4 is reportedly haunted and is a stop on ghost tours given each Halloween
Fire Station #5
Address: 300 Woodland Avenue
Units: Engine Co. #5, Ladder-Tower Co. #2
Neighborhoods Served: Chevy Chase, Cooperstown, Hollywood, Eastern UK Campus, Mt. Vernon, Bell Court, Montclair, Ashland Park, parts of Downtown.
The History: Only slightly younger than Fire Station #4, Station #5 opened in 1905. It too, was originally designed for horse-drawn apparatus and if you check the attic you may find some remnants of the grain that was stored there for the LFD's horses. In 2005 the station celebrated its centennial anniversary with a old-fashioned block party.
Interesting Fact: Friend of the LFD, Honorary Battalion Chief Don Ridley, answered the 8pm test at Station #5 nearly every night from 1965 to 2005. He still stops by from time to time.
Fire Station #6
Address: 501 South Limestone
Units: Engine Co. #6, Emergency Care #7
Neighborhoods Served: South Hill, Western UK Campus, Irish Bottoms, Pralltown, Downtown, Elizabeth Park, Medical Village, Southend Park, and Angliana.
The History: Originally called the "Scovell Engine House" after Melville A. Scovell a prominant agricultural leader, Station #6 was built in the "bungalow style." The top of the hose tower that was once used to dry cotton-jacketed fire hoses is still visible today. Station #6 was also the location of all LFD training until the current Training Academy was built in 1969 on Old Frankfort Pike. The grounds once featured a five story training tower, visible-type gas pumps for the trucks to refuel, and a burn building. In 1984, the station was remodeled and a large addition was built over the original foundation of the training tower. The addition included three new apparatus bays that replaced the single bay that once opened directly onto South Limestone. Station 6 once housed Water Tower 1, which was the predecessor to modern day Ladder-Towers and was in service until the mid-1990's.
Interesting Fact: Station #6 was, at one time, the Lexington Fire Station located farthest South of downtown and was even considered to be a "rural station."
Fire Station #7
Address: 3315 Tates Creek Road
Units: Engine Co. #7, Emergency Care #4
Neighborhoods Served: Lansdowne, Merrick, Shadeland, Tabor Lake, Glendover, Gainesway, Walden Grove, Downing Place, Stoneybrooke
The History: Fire Station #7 was built entirely by LFD personnel and was the first ranch style firehouse with many afterward following the same style.
Interesting Fact: Station #7 once housed District Major 202
Fire Station #8
Address: 1725 North Broadway
Units: Engine Co. #8, Emergency Care #3
Neighborhoods Served: Radcliffle, Winburn, Marlsboro Manor, Green Acres, Hollow Creek, Thoroughbred Acres, Kingston, Foxborough Manor, Warrenton, Hermitage Hills, portions of I-75.
The History: Also built by LFD personnel, this was the second ranch-style firehouse in Lexington. Due to its proximity to Interstate 75, Engine 8 once carried vehicle extrication equipment.
Interesting Fact: Station 8 was struck by a vehicle in 2010 and sustained structural damage.
Fire Station #9
Address: 2234 Richmond Road
Units: Engine Co. #9, Emergency Care #2, Dive Trailer
Neighborhoods Served: Idle Hour, Fairway, Lakeview, Woodspoint, Mt. Tabor, Patchen, East Hills, Raceland Estates, Lakeside, Woodhill, Palumbo.
The History: Although it was still built in the ranch-style, Station #9 was not built by LFD personnel but was contracted out. The land for the station was dontated by Kentucky American Water Company.
Fire Station #10
Address: 1128 Finney Drive
Units: Engine Co. #10, Ladder Co. #3, Emergency Care #6
Neighborhoods Served: Douglas Park, St. Martins Village, Melbourne, Oakwood, Highlands, Sandersville, Greendale, Mercer Road Industrial, Griffin Gate, Georgetown Road.
The History: The fourth station in the 1960's building-boom, the design was also the ranch-style. A third bay was added to the station in the late 1990's to house Ladder #3.
Interesting Fact: Station #10's crews also issue and repair fire hose for the entire division.
Fire Station #11
Address: 1626 Harrodsburg Road
Units: Engine Co. #11, District Major 204, EC-11 (surge only)
Neighborhoods Served: Skycrest, Garden Springs, Pine Meadows, Cardinal Hill, Burley, Addison Park, Bob-O-Link, Red Mile, Man O War Place
The History: The last of the 1960's building-boom stations, Fire Station #11 was built on land aquired through negotiations with Kentucky Utilities. Aerial #4 (now Ladder #4) was housed at Station #11 for many years until being moved to Station #12 and finally Station #20 upon its completion in 2001.
Fire Station #12
Address: 399 Southland Drive
Units: Engine Co. #12, Emergency Care #10
Neighborhoods Served: Rosemont, Southland, Hill N Dale, Pasadena, Lafayette, Crestwood, Zandale
The History: Built by the Eubank Lumber Company on what was then called "Southern U-Pass Road," Station 12 was once the southside headquarters for the Fayette County Fire Department.
Interesting Fact: The station is built over an active spring, which necessitates the use of two sump pumps in the basement to keep the station dry.
Fire Station #13
Address: 1432 Leestown Road
Units: Engine Co. #13, District Major 203
Neighborhoods Served: Meadowthorpe, Leesway, Masterson Station, Greendale, Thompson
The History: This station was built by the Fayette County Fire Department to replace their West Main Street fire station. It remained as a County station until the merger in 1973.
Interesting Fact: Station #13 is located in the fastest growing section of Lexington.
Fire Station #14
Address: 1530 Roanoke Road
Units: Engine Co. #14, Emergency Care #5, Brush Truck #1
Neighborhoods Served: Cardinal Valley, Gardenside, Viley Heights, Holiday Hills, Garden Springs, The Colony, Wellesley Heights, Pine Meadows, Bluegrass Airport, Keeneland.
The History: Built using the tried-and-true LFD ranch styling, Station #14 was tucked into a grove of trees next to a creek so as to blend in with the surrounding neighborhood.
Fire Station #15
Address: 3308 Shillito Park Road
Units: Engine Co. #15, Emergency Care #9
Neighborhoods Served: Shillito Park, Robinwood, Capistrano East, Brigadoon, Fayette Mall, Monticello Estates, Fox Harbor, Blueberry Hill, Whispering Hills, Southpoint, Willow Oak, Mill Pond, Foley's Landing, Wyndham Downs, High Plains, Waverly and Waveland.
The History: Built on land leased from the RJ Reynolds Company, Station #15 was the last of the ranch-style fire stations built in Lexington. At the time of its construction, this was the fastest growing portion of the city, situated on its busiest roadway, Nicholasville Road.
Fire Station #16
Address: 3700 Man O War Blvd.
Units: Engine Co. #16, District Major 202
Neighborhoods Served: Squire Oak, River Park, Tatesbrook, Century Hills, Centre Parkway, Buckhorn, Park Hills, Gainesway, Tanbark, Hartland.
The History: Probably Lexington's most well-known firehouse, Station #16 is a unique underground structure nicknamed "The Cave." While most assume the station was "built into the side of a hill," Station #16 is actually a concrete dome covered by earth. The design was selected for its energy efficiency and its ability to remain a steady temperature even if power is lost.
Interesting Fact: Over 500 yards of concrete were used to built Station #16.
Fire Station #17
Address: 4113 Winchester Road
Units: Engine Co. #17
Neighborhoods Served: Rural Winchester Road corridor, Hamburg, Polo Club Area
The History: After purchasing this home with attached garage, the LFD renovated it into a fire station in a mere 3 months, thus creating Lexington's first rural firehouse. When first built, Station #17 reduced response times to this part of the county by 7-10 minutes and greatly reduced area fire insurance rates. Despite starting out as a rural station, #17 becomes less "rural" every year with the rapid expansion of commercial and residential areas in this part of the county.
Interesting Fact: Many Lexington firefighters consider this station Lexington's most comfortable.
Fire Station #18
Address: 7115 Richmond Road
Units: Engine Co. #18
Neighborhoods Served: Old Richmond Road corridor, Durbin, Athens, McCall's Mill, Clays Ferry, Chilesburg, parts of I-75, Elklick Falls, Damar, Jack's Creek, Walnut Hill, Raven Run
The History: Lexington's second rural fire station, #18 was built to serve the southern end of the county. Due to its distance from downtown, Engine #18 carries vehicle extrication equipment.
Fire Station #19
Address: 3450 Huffman Mill Road
Units: Engine Co. #19
Neighborhoods Served: Rural northern Fayette County, Iron Works corridor, Lexington Horse Park
The History: Continuing the "rural fire station trend," the LFD built Station #19 in 1998 to protect the northern end of the county with a rural fire apparatus and a paramedic. Situated next to several horse farms, Station #19 may have the best view of any Lexington fire station.
Fire Station #20
Address: 3001 Arrowhead Drive
Units: Engine Co. #20, Ladder Co. #4, Hazmat 1, Unit 220 (Hazmat Supervisor)
Neighborhoods Served: Beaumont, Indian Hills, Rabbit Run, Harrods Hills, Stonewall, Palomar Hills, Plantation, Firebrook, Clemens Heights, Dogwood Trace, Garden Springs, Copperfield, English Station
The History: Built at the same time as Station 21 and using the same design, Station #20 features drive-through bays and a neighborhood friendly design. It also houses the offices of the Hazmat Team.
Interesting Fact: Station #20 is famous citywide for its extensive Christmas light display.
Fire Station #21
Address: 3191 Mapleleaf Drive
Units: Engine Co. #21, Ladder Co. #6, Brush Truck #2, EC-12 (surge only)
Neighborhoods Served: Hamburg, Todds, Arlington, Polo Club, I-75, Palumbo
The History: Built at the same time as Station #20 and using the same design, Station #21 is situated in a neighborhood in one of the fastest growing sections of the city.
Fire Station #22
Address: 4393 Clearwater Way
Units: Engine Co. #22, Ladder-Tower Co. #7
Neighborhoods Served: Waterford, Forest View, Lancaster Woods, Tanbark, Tates Creek Landing, Walden Grove, Camelot, Whispering Hills, Southpoint, Hartland, Pickway, Bradford Colony.
The History: Despite being numbered 22, this station is actually the most recently built in Lexington since Station #23 opened two years earlier. Built using roughly the same design as stations 20 and 21, Station #22 was given some upgrades from the lessons learned on #'s 20 and 21.
Fire Station #23
Address: 5751 Briar Hill Road, Building #19
Units: Engine Co. #23, Engine Co. #50
Neighborhoods Served: Bluegrass Station, rural eastern Fayette county, I-64
The History: Organized, built and staffed as a result of a unique partership between the LFUCG and the State of Kentucky, Station #23 is situated on the Bluegrass Station Army Depot. It was equipped and staffed with protection of the installation and its helicopter operations in mind but crews also respond off of the base if needed. #23's crews protect countless flight operations each year.
Lexington Training Academy
Address: Old Frankfort Pike
The History: Built in 1969 to replace the aging training facility situated next to Station #6, the Fire Training Academy was designed to present many opportunities to Lexington's firefighters and recruits. The grounds feature: a six story training tower, a sprinkler training building, a state-of-the-art burn building installed in 2010, an auxilliary classroom building, and a full-sized railcar.