Lexington residents will have the opportunity to dispose of household waste for free on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011. The Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government is partnering with the Bluegrass Waste Alliance Transfer Station to offer the free disposal day.
From 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 15, residents can drop off a level pickup truck load of bagged household waste and up to four tires, off the rim, for free. The transfer station is located at 1505 Old Frankfort Pike.
Residents should not bring appliances to the transfer station; appliances can be dropped off at Environmental Recycling, Inc., 3899 Winchester Road. The city offers the free disposal day four times a year: January, April, July and October, on the third Saturday of the month. It normally costs $52.00/ton to dispose of household waste.
The guidelines for the free disposal day are:
- Participants must have a valid Fayette County drivers’ license
- All loads must be level with the bed of the truck
- All loads must be covered by a tarp
- Household waste only will be accepted
- No more than four automobile tires will be accepted and must be off the rim
- No appliances will be accepted
- No commercial vehicles allowed
- No hazardous materials or free-flowing liquids
For more information on the free disposal day call LexCall at 3-1-1 or 425-2255.