3051 Leestown Road
Lexington, KY 40511
Masterson Station Park is a 659.75 acre park located in west Lexington (2nd District). The land was originally settled by Richard Masterson of Fairfax County, Virginia. He was a surveyor; one of ten young men from Virginia sent to survey between the Ohio River and the North Fork Licking River. Richard and his wife were very active in the early Methodist Church in Kentucky in 1788. It was in their home at Masterson Station that the first Methodist conference west of the Appalachian Mountains was convened. Richard sold his land in 1795 to his brother James Revolutionary War and an Indian scout under George Rogers Clark. He was one of the first settlers of Lexington. He, along with William McConnell, John Maxwell and Robert Patterson, built and occupied the first hewn log cabin in Lexington.
Near the turn of the century, the federal government acquired the property. In 1929, the U.S. Congress authorized the U.S. Public Health Services to establish two narcotic farms “for the confinement and treatment of persons addicted to the use of habit-forming narcotic drugs” (Public Law 70-672). One would be located in Lexington and the other in Fort Worth, Texas. Hospital construction began in 1933 and the facility opened on May 25, 1935. The site encompassed more than 1,000 acres and included a farm and dairy. Patients were assigned a job in maintenance, food service, laundry, sanitation or farming as a part of their rehabilitation.
In February 1974, the Narcotic Farm was closed and a portion of the land was transferred to the local government for recreational use. The gift was given with the requirement that the land always be used for public open space. Many of the original structures from the farm, including dairy barns, silos and the dairyman’s house, remain in the park. Some of the structures are still being used today by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government.
A master plan for Masterson Station Park was completed in May 2002 and work continues to take place in this park.
Masterson Station Park offers two shelters which may be rented by families and organized groups seven days a week. Both shelters are complete with barbeque grills and picnic tables. No indoor restroom facilities are available. Shelter #1 is located adjacent to the dog park. Shelter #2 is at the back of the park and includes a water fountain. Shelter #3 is located next to the new playground. All rentals require a written permit. Shelters #1, #2 and #3 rent for $50 per day. Additional picnic tables and grills are located throughout the park in the summer months. Reserve a shelter online.
Lion’s Club Pavilion
The Lion’s Club Pavilion has a main room of approximately 7,000 square feet and will accommodate approximately 250 people (seated). All tables and chairs are provided for indoor use only. Outside of the pavilion is a 4,000 square foot covered area with a stage. This building also has multi-fixture restrooms. The Lions Club Pavilion is an ideal local for large meetings and organization gatherings, dinners and banquets. For rental information, contact Parks & Recreation at (859) 288-2972.
Masterson Station Park Equestrian Program
The equestrian program at Masterson Station introduces participants to the fundamentals of riding as well as general horsemanship. Classes are offered year-round and are divided up into beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. There are five riders per class and two instructors in the lower levels. The cost for the eight classes is $75 for youth (ages 10 – 15 years) and $95 for those 16 and older. Day long camps in the summer are also offered. For information on the equestrian program, call (859) 253-0328.
This park has an indoor riding arena complex that is available to the public. The recently renovated complex offers a quality rental facility for groups wishing to host an event and offers an indoor facility for individual equestrian at a reasonable fee. The indoor arena also includes 30 stalls for rental use. For rental information, call (859) 253-0328.
Masterson Station is home to one of the four dog parks owned and operated by the LFUCG. This dog park is approximately six acres with mature trees, benches and a hydrant to provide fresh, cool water on hot summer afternoons. Future plans include adding a second ten acre paddock.
Masterson Station Park is the site of numerous horse shows, special events, soccer tournaments and organized walks. Every May, the best border collies and handlers from across the United States come to Masterson Station for the Bluegrass Classic Stockdog Trials. Each July, thousands of patrons come out and enjoy rides, horticultural & agricultural competitions, food, music and much more at the Lexington Lions Bluegrass Fair. For over 30 years, the Lexington Youth Soccer Association (LYSA) has called Masterson Station home. This organization has provided the opportunity to play soccer to nearly 100,000 players ranging in age from children as young as four to adults in their seventies.