What is a Lily?
Lily is a decorative rain barrel that collects and stores rainwater from your roof.
How are Lilies (rain barrels) beneficial?
The Lily can be used to store water for gardening during times of little rain or drought.
Lawn and garden watering can make up 40 percent of your household water use during the summer months. You can significantly reduce the amount of water you consume by using rainwater instead of tap water. The water collected in your barrel can be used in a variety of ways:
- water your garden and lawn
- wash your car or bike
- clean work boots and tools
- water potted plants
- be creative!
Plus, many gardeners find that their plants like rainwater better than tap water.
Rain barrels are primarily used as a water conservation tool but can also be helpful in managing storm water.
Lilies help keep rainwater on your lot. It is important to keep as much rainwater as possible on your lot, but away from your house. By keeping the rainwater on your lot, you prevent the water from flowing over hard surfaces picking up pollutants, such as pet waste, motor oil, fertilizer and litter, and carrying them into our streams and rivers.
The Lily can continuously drain which allows the water to slowly soak through the soil and into the water table, being cleansed by soils and plants along the way.
The Lily can also help keep storm water from infiltrating the sewer system which can cause sewer overflows.
- Height: 38.5 inches
- Width/ID 22 inches
- Width/OD 23.8 inches
- Weight empty: 23 lbs
- Major diameter is 23.8 (Top)
- Miner diameter is 19.7 (Bottom)
- The approximate weight full may be around 400 lbs.
- Applicant must be a Lexington-Fayette County resident.Applicant must be the owner of the property on which Lily is being installed.
- Applicant is solely responsible for installation and all materials not included in the Lily kit, which includes attachment to downspout and foundation.
- Applicant agrees to allow an LFUCG DEQ inspector access to the premises in order to verify installation, if selected for random inspection.
How do I purchase a Lily?
We welcome and appreciate every property owner that wants to save water, prevent storm-water runoff, and improve water quality by participating in the Lily program.
To purchase a Lily, please click here
For replacement parts call (859) 619-9288.
Lily Purchasing Requirements:
- Registration on LexingtonKY.gov
- $75 Payment can be made by check or money order made out to the LFUCG Lily Program, which must be personally delivered to:
Department of Environmental Quality
Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government
200 E. Main St., 9th floor, Lexington, KY, 40507
Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Applicant must pick up Lily container at 1306 Versailles Road and must bring proof of purchase and photo ID with receipt.
Business hours are Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday 8 am to noon; Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday noon to 4 pm. If applicant is unable to pick up Lily container, they must contact the Department of Environmental Quality at 425-2800.
Questions about the program should be directed to the Department of Environmental Quality, 425-2800.