Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government
Sat, August 29 Mostly Cloudy,  80˚F  icon of current weather 

Contacting the Police

Comm1DIAL "911" for Emergencies Only
Crimes in Progress, Injury Accidents, Medical Emergencies, Fires, Electrical lines down, Gas/Toxic Leaks or An immediate situation where someone can be hurt

Calling for help when you have or observe an Emergency situation:

If you have an emergency, you can contact the police department any time day or night by simply dialing "911" from a residential, business or public pay phone within Fayette County. Communication officers or "call takers" will answer your 911 call as quickly as it is received. They will first determine the nature of the problem and inquire if you need the police, fire or medical personnel to respond.

If your emergency requires the fire department or medical assistance, your call will be transferred to the Division of Fire where their Communications Unit personnel will assist you and dispatch the appropriate personnel and equipment to the emergency.

If you require the police, you will be asked to provide information to the following types of questions. It is important that you remain calm even though you may be upset or scared. Stay on the telephone line and talk to the call taker, if you can do so safely, until police arrive.

  • The location of the emergency. Be as exact as possible, a house address or street intersection.
  • A description of the emergency or event.
  • Names and descriptions of persons involved.
  • Descriptions of vehicles involved.
  • Any injuries to yourself or other individuals along with the type of injury if known.
  • Were any weapons involved, and if so, how many and what type.

Using your cell phone for an Emergency:

At present, when you dial "911" within the Fayette County Area, you will reach the Communications Unit at the Lexington Police Department. Please be aware that there may be some areas in the county that send the cell calls to the Kentucky State Police. Please check with your cell phone provider to see if their "Wireless 911" calls are accepted here. If your cell phone directs you to the Kentucky State Police, you will need to tell them you have an emergency in Fayette County and you need to speak to the Lexington Police Department. The State Police will connect you to our communications unit immediately.

Dial 258-3600 for NON-Emergencies

(Examples: Crimes NOT IN PROGRESS, Non-injury Accidents, Scheduled Events [parades, sports], Weather Conditions, Reports Requests or Delayed Reports, Dog Barking, Loud Music, Illegal Parking, Traffic Violations)

If you have a situation, which is not an emergency, and you require or request the police, you can contact the department any time of the day or night by simply dialing 258-3600 from a residential, business, public pay phone or cellular phone. The call taker will first determine the nature of the situation or problem and then inquire for further details. It is important that you remain calm during this conversation. Although you might be upset or frightened, this information is needed to assist the officers responding to help you.

The call taker will forward your information to a dispatcher who will assign a police unit to your request for assistance. Remember, emergency and life-threatening calls take priority over non-emergency calls. There may be times when the patrol officers are extremely busy with priority calls.

Request for Information/Open Records Requests

The Communications Unit maintains audio recordings of radio and phone traffic for a period of sixty days. The unit also maintains computer files containing dispatch information regarding calls for service.

You may request copies of this information by providing a written request stating the following:

  • Your identity, Full name, Address, Phone Number
  • Your reason for asking for the information
  • The location, date and time of the incident you are inquiring about
  • Names of individuals involved in the incident
  • State whether you request an audio copy of telephone and/or radio traffic, a printed copy of dispatch records or both.


Your written request should be addressed to:
Lexington Police Department
Communications Unit Assistant
150 East Main Street
Lexington, KY 40507

You should allow three days for us to process your request upon receipt. Call 258-3600 for cost of fees for audio recording and paper copies.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download WinZip Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Last updated: 5/20/2015 10:02:58 AM